Wednesday, December 28, 2011

words and work

I got home around 6PM, cold and aching for a hard work and a stove to warm myself by. My truck's heat is on the fritz, so there's no comfy commute from the dropping temperatures, but there is refuge from the wind, and tonight with 30MPH gusts ripping through Veryork: that was enough.

By the time I finally got back into the farmhouse I was almost blown back as I stepped through the threshold of the 51-degree home. It seemed so incredibly comfortable compared to the alternatives since leaving the office. Greeted by Jazz and Annie, it was even warmer. I sweat that huskies smile.

First task: Take all three dogs out for a constitutional to release their urgencies. When returned and fed, I was free to see to the warming of the place. I heated up the oven to 410 degrees to bake up a small pizza. Then I set to work collecting the last few day's worth of ashes from the two wood stoves and set to work lighting them in their fresh homes.

With fires starting to blaze, I set outside for the first trip of wood collecting for the night. I chose thinner, lighter, dry logs to ensure a healthy fire before I headed outside to the farm animals. While they burned and the fires grew warmer, I dined on a quick supper while I watched the kitchen thermometer climb a few degrees from the oven and two stoves. Heat is not a fast thing here. It comes only from labor, the elements, and sweat. I prefer this kind of heat. It is warmer than the degrees tell.

When all the wolves were fed, it was time to head down the farm's food chain, starting with the 30 (I lost one) meat birds in the brooder. Like so many of you warned: the birds stank. Every night they needed a fresh layer of bedding and every third night I had to bring the wheelbarrow indoors to unload all that soiled bedding and totally re-clean the brooder. Tonight was a barrow night, so I set out to fetch it and spent a half hour scooping, dumping, scooping, dumping, shaking fresh wood shavings down, and offering clean food and water services. The chicks seemed to appreciate it. Now twice their incoming size and ready to be moved to their hay bale winter barn (yet to be constructed) any day now. I swept up the mess I made around the brooder and left the room smelling and looking better than when I arrived in it a bit earlier. The fire across the small room warmed my back, and I decided it was time to feed the pigs.

In the back of the truck were two two-gallon buckets of food scraps from The Wayside Country Store. They've donated all scraps and edible garbage to Cold Antler and every day after work I pick up the buckets of old deli meats, sandwiches that didn't sell, salad greens and somesuch. The pigs are voracious now. They get four gallons twice a day now and could probably eat more. As they dove into their rubber bin I cleaned out and refilled their water bucket. Jasper watched from his stall. He doesn't seem to understand why the pigs eat so much more than he does?

Jasper got three flakes for the cold night and a fresh bucket of water as well. None of the water around here comes from a hose. There are no outdoor faucets. The people who I bought this farm from had spent five years turning a beat-up farm into a beautiful retirement home. They had no need for hoses or pumps. They sold it to a farmer though, and she uses the 5-gallon buckets by the artesien well and carries them the 50 yards to the barn or sheep trough.

And so the pigs and Jasper had food and water. I stand in the barn a bit to collect my breath and think. I am hoping the farrier comes soon, he really needs a trim. Ken Norman will come by when he can fit it in, I'm sure, but the young man could use a manicure. I make mental notes about the shuffling of bills and circumstances to make sure it happens soon as possible. I scratch his head. His salt-and-pepper mane makes me smile. I am so very partial to those colors on my good boy.

I collect eggs and I grab the frozen rabbit water bottles and bring them all inside. It has now been over an hour since I lit the fires and I need to go inside to mind them. Deciding not to waste a trip, I bring in an armload of proper stove wood too. As I hand-feed the fires I start to sing to myself. I sing Pretty Saro, the folk song my goose is named after and the words float from my work like a soundtrack to evening.Oh, when I first came a to this countrrrrryyyyy, iiiiinnnn eighteen and foooorrrrrty nine. I saw many true a looovers, But ne'er sawa miiiinnnne...

I smile, thinking of how I sing it like the woman on the porch in Songcatcher. I wonder how accurate that is to the real Appalachian vocal traditions. Annie just wags her tail. That bitch loves a good miserable ballad. The house is now 56 degrees and outside it has dropped into the high teens.

I head back outside to carry a barrow of hay to the sheep. I know their 30-gallon water tank is fine, mostly full, and a submersible de-icer is keeping it from turning solid. The water in the barn doesn't freeze at this temperature, kept warm by the hay and life inside it. I do not fret, and know that the water bottles by the stove are ready to return to the rabbits. I think my does might kindle in this cold. I am excited and worried for them. We will see what comes of it. Bruce, my rabbit mentor, says kindling goes okay in barns save for the days over 100 degrees and below -5. We are still in the safe zone of the local legends. I put my faith in them.

I shut the door on the coop. I bring the chicken water font in by the stove to defrost for morning's chores. It has been over 2 hours of solid work. the house is new 58 degrees and in celebration of the work I will drag the sheep skin and some quilts to the Bun Baker to read my book. The TV is still here, but it's dead to me right now. Instead of watching reruns of television shows I wrote this to you. I emailed some hopeful blog sponsors (Got plans for heat in that truck!). All of it better and made me feel more alive than the empty feeling I get watching Netflix alone in an old house.

Some people took my post about television removal as a judgement on their own usage, or even of the medium in general. This is silly. I have no qualms with the invention or art of television. I appreciate the news, education, and entertainment of it. But for me (and this blog only speaks for me) it has become a sad center of my evenings. I want my evenings back. I want to write, play music, work on the business, write books, call friends, and read. I want to close my eyes on a sheepskin rug and hear the sounds of breathing dogs, nearly asleep, chicks in a brooder, and cracks from the fire. I love Jon Stewart, but I love this more. You folks do whatever it is you need to do with your televisions. I just need to see other people for a while.

I have split my night instead into words and work.

That is my favorite life. One of writing and chores. Tonight I got to live it, take it in in every sense. To an outsider looking in, this place is a burden. To me, it is a sanctuary, temple, dance hall, theatre, therapist, library, best friend and grocery store. Isn't that what all homes aim to be?

This was a weeknight at Cold Antler Farm. I'll be asleep by 10. I'll set my phone to wake me up every two hours to keep the stove fires alive, but I'll enjoy the naps in between. Tomorrow is the last full day of work before a 4-day holiday weekend. And you know what I will do with those 30-degree afternoons in a 68-degree farmhouse?



Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh, but huskies do surely smile, and grin. and sometimes even laugh.

" To me, it is a sanctuary, temple, dance hall, theatre, therapist, library, best friend and grocery store. Isn't that what all homes aim to be?"
- oh yes. oh Jenna... well spoke my dear, so well spoke.

December 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Interesting the response you got to your TV-less post. That says a great deal about its role in our culture today.

Sweet dreams, Farmer Girl.

December 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I enjoy your words very much and am glad to see you will be writing more. You provide a peek into your life which few allow, and it's interesting to see how a farm operates. And the comment about "My blog only speaks for me" - it never ceases to amaze me that when someone loves and lives their life how uncomfortable it makes people! Do you. We'll be here reading and cheering from the sidelines.

December 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Goat Song said...

Beautifully put. :)

December 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Every two hours? isn't there a way to bank the fire so it will last longer? I am considering using wood at the ranch and I don't know about getting up every two hours to stoke the fire....

December 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Nice report. I think all dogs smile.
No Tv here. I watch Stewart on-line, sometimes at 2am when I can't sleep. Speaking of...I agree with Rosie, you need to find another way to keep the fire steady or have fossil fuel backup. Two hour naps (basically) is not healthy and the awakenings will take their toll on your body and mind, but something tells me you are going to learn this the hard way, young lady.

December 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Fresh Eggs Farm said...

Oh Jenna - you are so damned if you do and damned if you don't!!! Geez! No matter what you write, you will be judged by one extreme or the other. Please, just stop apologizing and write what you know. We are all here waiting for your words and experiences. For those who don't agree or find your statements judgemental; I've realized that that is their personality flaw...their own insecurities. I appreciate your writing. While I also appreciate and respect your decision to get rid of your TV, I also realize that is not your way of chastizing me for keeping mine.
I recently had an experience with my own brother who gave me so much crap about my FB posts - he made some off color comments on my husband's post and when I questioned him on it - he said "but I don't at least get any recognition in the contest to see who does the most on a daily basis?" - Um...just because my family and I have made the choice to convert this home to a farm and have a lot on our plate and share that with others - doesn't in ANY way mean that I putting someone else for the different (yet just as hard) work that others do. UGH!!!

December 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

I love how you love your life, Jenna! Thanks for the inspiration.

December 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger - said...

I was just about to comment as well on the frequency of getting up to tend your fires. We have a small Lopi woodstove and we load it up with 8-10 logs before bed, sit with it for a good while to be sure it's going well, and then off to bed for an average of 8 hours. Unless you have terribly old and inefficient woodstoves, it doesn't seem that you need to be getting up so often.

December 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Like Rosie said: Bank your fire.

I put on the largest/heaviest pieces of wood before going to bed (or during the day before I leave for work and need it to last). I don't "overload" the stove, but I do put on enough that it doesn't burn down in a short period. Then I damper the stove down and close the pipe damper so that it burns slow. When I'm home, I open the stove up and let it burn hotter to burn off the creosote.

I have only one stove to heat our 1200 sq ft farmhouse, it is located on the first floor in the middle of the house. Most days the house is around 75 degrees (the kitchen is closer to the stovepipe so often is over 80, but I like it warm in there). We have a stone foundation and the heat keeps the basement from freezing, which is good because all the water pipes are down there.

When I get home from work:
1) I throw wood on the fire.
2) Put on my chore boots and coat and take the animals out and put them in a fenced area. And, while they are out doing their business,
3) Then I do my farm chores.

The animals eat first here. When they're done, then I make my dinner.

December 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the routine and semi-sanctity of a winter night!


December 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger harveysmokes said...

3rd try to leave a comment..I'm learning. If you will find on youtube Cas Wallin: Pretty Saro (1982), then I believe you will be hearing what is a very authentic rendition. You were wondering about that in your post. Cas's singing is a time machine for me back to my grandpa's front porch in Oklahoma in the early fifties..beautiful and real. Barb in Portland OR

December 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger harveysmokes said...

4th try at commenting. Please go to youtube and hear Cas Wallin: Pretty Saro (1982) The real deal, since you mentioned Pretty Saro. You will love it. Barb

December 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a full life, indeed - dogs, work, ducks, songs, horses, quilts, books, chicks, pigs, and writing. From here, it certainly looks like you've got it made.

December 28, 2011 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I could feel the cold, and then the warmth of the barn. I can smell your woodstove and I can hear the pops. Takes me back to my grandparents' kitchen. Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

I work for a cable company and I wasn't at all upset by your previous post. I know from working in Collections that some people take television far too seriously, as if it is a right and not a privilege.

December 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 29, 2011 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Holy smokes, and all that is after your work day...truly, I am a lazy malingerer.

All dogs have their smiles, be they tooth-bearing or upturned-corners-of-the-mouth...I've encountered few huskies in person, but can definitely think of pictures that show what you mean.

Elka (my Doberman) smiles by puffing her lips (or sometimes just lip) up. At least I think she's smiling; my fiance just thinks her mouth gets stuck that way while playing.

December 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger admin said...

Sounds like you have a good attitude about this winter thing! In the winter the last few years I lived up North all the dogs would pile in bed with me and I’d be under at least 5 quilts. I’d stoke once and sometimes sleep in my Carhart coveralls too, didn’t have a fuel/electric heat option and the old house wasn’t exactly insulated to code. Only my nose would be cold in the morning though. Growing up the whole family spent the winter and a lot of the spring sleeping in the kitchen all together to stay warm. Good memories actually! Best of luck with the truck and everything else.

December 29, 2011 at 3:06 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

The interesting thing I noticed in the comments on your TV post was that the women seem to be willing or interested in limiting or eliminating TV from their lives but have male partners who are not or very reluctant. Wonder why that is the case?

December 29, 2011 at 3:07 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

Misty and I lead a mirrored life.

Your pigs must not be able to see you get out of the truck or watch you let the dogs out...oh the rukus they'd make. My beloved dogs have taken a back burner when it comes to dinner, and breakfast for that matter...pigs first!

What weight do you slaughter at? Is the female still much smaller? Do you slaughter at the same time regardless?

December 29, 2011 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Love love love your blog!! You are inspiring me to kick my own butt into high gear & make some Very Big Decisions!! January is Finally Start Weaving (again) Month & Going this weekend to look at laaaaand!! Um technically next Tues but still super excited!!!

Life is for living & enjoying!! Thank you for sharing yours!

December 29, 2011 at 4:18 AM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

Jenna I am baffled by your stoves? surely the newer one should be able to stay in longer than 2hours?My Clearview has been on 24/7 since I lit it back in early October, I work and am in bed early, in case anyone thinks I sit there feeding it all day lol! All it should take in the morning is the air vents opening up and a small log adding, within moments it will be tickling along.

When I bought my stove my twins were nearly a year old, ie I was BUSY lol! I said to the supplier I dont want something ELSE to look after,this needs to be a workhorse not another baby, hence recommened the Clearview and I have been so grateful ever since.

Well done on choosing to reduce screen time. I enjoy some programmes but watch maybe an hour a week? I also have cut right back on the computer, I write letters and telephone people instead and I love doing that x

I have just scrolled down and see some others say the same about the fire lol, I am not nit picking just I know myself there is only so much a woman can do in a day/night lol! If its not staying in then get the installers back to check it over,it might be burning too fierce and too fast?

This winter here is so mild so far compared to last winter.Part of me is relieved but part of me prefered the cold brightness to this dull endless drab rain and cloud we seem to have had so far.
GTM x x x

December 29, 2011 at 4:33 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Dogs before pigs in this house! No apologies!

If I don't scarf a quick dinner before chores, I don't get a chance to eat until far too late (9pm). Eating before my animals doesn't mean I care for them any less.

The stove doesn't need to be stoked all night, but I feed it when I get up. I haven't slept through a night in a decade and never have I slept more than 6 hours!

December 29, 2011 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Yes, both pigs slaughtered the same time.

December 29, 2011 at 5:35 AM  
Blogger E said...

Have to wonder at quality of stoves that need feeding every 2 hours and ashes taken out every few days. Isn't one of them new? A good airtight stove should keep coals going until morning and need emptying every week or less frequently.

Is your wood dry?

December 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger - said...

That little sleep is good for no one, no matter who or how busy you are (and besides, I thought your post said you'd set your phone alarm to get up that often?). Anyway, I do hope you find restful nights soon.

December 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

Oh I can so identify with your cold house and starting the fires. I only have he laying hens and turkeys outside but they still require twice daily food and water. You might want to consider bringing your doe inside to kindle. I've lost kits who've chilled in 40 degree temps. Every one that dies is $ lost on top of the suffering of the poor little thing.

December 29, 2011 at 6:02 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Jeesh folks...

Consider it is the new stove user and not the stoves?

Whether I set alarms or wake up, I don't sleep well. Never have.

December 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger becky3086 said...

I always found that our wood stoves (we had several when I was growing up and late when I was first married) did better when they weren't cleaned out completely. They need that bed of ash. I agree with the others about the stove should be able to burn longer. I remember my father getting up once, maybe twice a night. Some wood burns faster, however, so maybe that is the problem.
I did very much enjoy your post. Don't really see any reason to worry about what you do first. Everyone has their own order of doing things; what works for them.
You do make everything seem quite wonderful though and I have cleaned out our meat bird brooder enough times to know how nasty it is, lol. I know how cold a car without heat is and I know how much fun doing chores in the cold is. I also know that feeling of not wanting to give it up for anything.

December 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for taking time to write this Jenna. I enjoyed every word and think what you are doing is precious time spent. Keep on keeping on.

December 29, 2011 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have had a history of not sleeping well. Then, my chiropractor told me about Valerian Root. It is a supplement that has been used for hundreds of years. I buy the NOW brand and take it every night. It has made a tremendous difference not only in the amount
of sleep I get, but also the quality of my sleep. Even my blood sugar, which I have desperately struggled with, has stabilized since I have been getting some sleep.
Lisa in Maine

December 29, 2011 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger doglady said...

I agree with Becky3086 about the ash in the stoves. I don't clean mine more often than every 2 weeks and that is burning 24/7. At the end of the winter, my 5 gal ash bucket was about 2/3 full.
I put 3 logs in at 9pm and have hot coals to begin with at 5am. I just stir them up a bit, add kindling and little pieces, open the drafts and in minutes I have a roaring blaze to which I add bigger logs.

December 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger janette said...

jenna, have you heard elizabeth laprelle's singing of pretty saro?

p.s. you should be able to get way more than 2 hours out of yer stove. a good stove/good wood combo can burn for 12+ hours.

December 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

Jenna, Unless you already know what is wrong with the heat on the truck may I suggest that you have it checked. Failing cab heat can be a sign of other worse problems and I know you don't want that.

If the farm animals eat the same time every day they rely upon that. They do not keep score of who eats first.

December 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Monster Librarian said...

Happy New Year! Enjoy your long weekend, you deserve it!

December 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cynthia R. said...

When we builded our first home and had our first fireplace, my dad told us to always leave a bed of ashes in the fireplace. It's like a blanket and keep the coals hot. This will help as you will not use as much wood. When the ashes got too high I would just take off the top layer. He told us at night use a backlog. We ask "A backlog"? Yes he said a big large log to slowly burn all night. At the end of the season I would clean all the ashes out.

December 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Her stoves are quite small - the fireboxes don't hold a lot, so I don't expect it would take long to burn through even in the best of circumstances. The quality of the wood seems to make a difference too. Sometimes we get wood that burns really well, other times not so much.

I was feeling for you, Jenna, with your 30 mph wind gusts. That's what my place is like MOST DAYS during the winter. I'll take low temps, rain or even snow over that kind of wind ANY DAY. I can't pick up an armload of hay from any direction without getting my eyes full of it. Boo!

December 29, 2011 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh, and we always eat before the animals too. Why? We have the thumbs. Like Sewing Machine Girl said, they're not keeping score.

One more thought on the stove thing - if we're burning ours all day long, we have a good bed of coals built up and the fire burns longer overnight. Most days, however, we don't even light a fire until 7:00 or 8:00 pm, just 2-3 hours before bedtime. These nights, it just doesn't have the "umph" to keep going. Jenna's in the same boat, lighting them after getting home from work. I suspect that makes a difference too.

December 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger quiltaholic said...

Well said Jenna! I love to hear your reverence for the day to day life of a farmer. Love this song too - it is one of my favorite parts of Songcatcher, and the main reason I bought the soundtrack :)

December 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jimmie said...

Loved today's post. I was right there with you in the cold while you were doing your chores...well at least in spirit I was there. The cold is surely bone chilling, but there is something so soothing about finally being able to settle in front of the stove or fireplace and letting your body recover once the chores are done for the day.

I had to laugh about your truck's heater. Many was the time that I had to scrape ice from the INSIDE of our old VW's windshield as well as the outside before I could leave for work. Old VWs don't have very good heaters anyway, so I kept a blanket folded across my lap while I was driving. I'm a firm believer that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". You're getting stronger everyday, oh farmer friend of mine.

As far as stoking the fire every two hours, I think folks are just worried that something might be wrong with your stoves. If you are awake every couple of hours anyway, then I say stoke the fire. Now if there would be a way that you can somehow train yourself to sleep longer than two hours, that would probably help you in the long run, though.

I'm from Wilkes County, North Carolina and I grew up listening to my grandfather and his sons play and sing the old songs. They played and sang with a cadence similar to the ones in The Songcatcher. I watch that movie a of my very favorites.

Have a great four days off from your paying job.

Diane in North Carolina

December 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna, I think the fact that you receive so many comments, both supportive AND critical, is a sign that people are listening (or reading as the case may be). I do find it funny that some people take the tv thing so personally. Perhaps some are so defensive about their viewing habits because they know somewhere deep inside that there just might be a more productive way to spend their time than staring at a screen soaking it all in.

December 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Ms. Feldman said...

Thank you for this! I love the physical work of waking & putting to sleep the farm & all of its inhabitants. In the rhythm of it, there is such peace.

December 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

"I have split my night instead into words and work."

Yes. This.

December 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

When I worked as a carpenter, I always asked to work with the gentlemen who were nearing retirement. They always had tricks to the trade and advice. (My favorite: work smarter, not harder.)

Every farmer does things their own way, but once in a while it doesn't hurt to listen to others advice. You have a wide audience here, lifelong farmers and farmer wannabes. You take things so personally and it is a product of your hard work. But the hard work will wear on you very soon, believe me. It has a way of doing it so insidiously. So, when someone wants to share their life's experience with you in the form of advice, or maybe something viewed as criticism, please take it for what it is. Just someone else's experience or opinion offered in good faith, hoping that it will prevent heartache or aching muscles, whichever comes first.

And me? Being twice your age and farming almost all of my life, I've come to appreciate certain aspects of farm life: everything you do is dependent on weather.

Personally, I don't like to do chores in the dark. That's always when things go wrong. That being said, as soon as I get home from work, I hump it to get things done before night falls. This, of course, is seasonal since the days get longer from here on out and time between when I get home and when the sun goes down allows some leeway as to accomplishing things.

I always have to feed the donkeys before leaving for work at 6. In fact, their big, long ears hear my alarm go off in the house and start calling for their breakfast before I've even washed my face. The pigs wait until I get home, but if it has been really cold out, then I go break open their water trough before I leave. I have to open the chicken coops in the dark (which I hate doing), otherwise they would be inside all day and would be unhappy.

Once the chores are done and it is pitch black outside with only a part-time moon to light the way, then I come in to make myself comfortable. Sometimes it is later than normal, but I know when I do come inside, I am done for the day. There is something very satisfying about that.

Oh, just a suggestion here... get yourself a heated chicken water base. For $45 it is well worth not having to babysit the water font when it is freezing out. (I accidentally unplugged the donkey's water last night and it was frozen this morning. oops)

December 29, 2011 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hey Jenna, I see lots of comments about woodstoves & sleep so I'm not gonna go there ~ you do what works for you, girl. I can, however, answer your question about the music. Sheila Kay Adams was the vocal coach on that film. I am honored to say that I know her and had the opportunity to be in her ballad singing class at the Swannanoa Gathering a couple of years ago. She is from rural Western N.C and is as authentic as they come. I also saw a couple of references to youtube videos of Cas Wallin singing Pretty Saro - he was her cousin. Here is a link for you about her:

December 30, 2011 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Here's another for your listening pleasure:

December 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Jenna, I think what some people react to in your posts is that at times you appear to be TRYING to make your work harder than it needs to be (almost in a masochistic way) rather than AS EASY AS POSSIBLE (which is the more typical human pattern). Good hard work is great. Work that's harder than it would need to be? That's another story.

December 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty Saro on YouTube

December 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Ashley DeMazza said...

Today I live in a small victorian cottage with a pellet stove. But your posts reminded me of growing up a house primarily heated by woodstove and fire place. :) Thank you Jenna!

Ashley DeMazza
Falls Village, CT

January 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...


, no, I love YOU more!

January 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Jenna, I have turned off my tv every year for 6 to 8 months. I have relied on Netflex to get my fix when I really need it but mostly I love being back in touch with myself. I am raising my 11 yr. old granddaughter and when she gets annoyed with no tv I tell her we can live our lives or sit around and watch others living theirs. Still at times I feel I am depriving her. After all this society for the most part can't fathom a life completely devoid of television so I am making her be different from her peers.

January 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Jenna, I have turned off my tv every year for 6 to 8 months. I have relied on Netflex to get my fix when I really need it but mostly I love being back in touch with myself. I am raising my 11 yr. old granddaughter and when she gets annoyed with no tv I tell her we can live our lives or sit around and watch others living theirs. Still at times I feel I am depriving her. After all this society for the most part can't fathom a life completely devoid of television so I am making her be different from her peers.

January 2, 2012 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Oh, Diane in North Carolina, I remember my old 1966 VW bug fondly. I too, had to scrape the INSIDE of my windshield, keep the fly window open so my breath wouldn't freeze on the window, have a blanket over my lap and very warm boots on. Sometimes, I had to shovel the snow off the floor by the foot pedals so I could shift. Rotten heaters, those old Bugs had!

Thanks for the memory!

January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Oh, Diane in North Carolina, I remember my old 1966 VW bug fondly. I too, had to scrape the INSIDE of my windshield, keep the fly window open so my breath wouldn't freeze on the window, have a blanket over my lap and very warm boots on. Sometimes, I had to shovel the snow off the floor by the foot pedals so I could shift. Rotten heaters, those old Bugs had!

Thanks for the memory!

January 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home