Monday, October 30, 2017

Wet Morning Onward!

By the time 9AM rolled around I was already done loading the truck with feed and on my way to Common Sense Farm to pick up hay. I was praying I would miss the next downpour and manage to keep the bales dry between their barn and my own. It wasn't looking too promising. The day was wet and warm, but a moving warmth. As if the weather was a wet, lumbering, ghost of a beast moving through my town and pulling a burdern of frost behind him. Tomorrow the temperatures will drop to freezing. I still need more firewood and I start to worry as I turn into Common Sense Farm's driveway. This has been a tough go of early fall. I'm worried and falling behind again. The beastly weather only amplified that.

I was still dragging from chores, which were done in a cold rain back at home. A storm had roared through in the night and tore some of the siding off the house in the wind. My concern wasn't the white vinyl in the grass but the animals. I checked on every piglet to pullet and all seemed well and accounted for. I carried feed and water, and the crowing and cackling, bleats and baas all stopped as the entire farm went to the fine work of breakfast. That earned silence is still an encouragement to me. That feeling of a cold, miserable, morning made better with a provided meal to all those I care for fills up my heart a bit. It makes the coffee by the wood stove taste better. It is also why the coffee is so strong in the first place.

I am not at Common Sense Farm long. I pull into my familiar spot behind the barn and load the truck with bales beside the feed bags. A few hoggets are outside their fence on the lawn, eating forbidden lawn grass calmly. I walk up and snap their picture and feel another injection of encouragement. The sheep I am greeting were from blackfaces born of my own stock. Two farms are sowing the rewards of my clumsy beginner shepherding. It was another good cup of coffee, that.

If I sound glum I'm just distracted with concern, but feeling positive about the week ahead. When you can get out of a warm bed on a Monday, tend to a farm, run errands, use your body, and enjoy coffee you are starting the week with a jumping point that has to lead to a decent mark in the sand. I have my to-do list written up and work to look forward to. I may make some sale, I may not, but there is still soap orders to fill and illustrations to color from recent ones. I'm focusing on not spending any money and earning the other half of a mortgage payment I need to sleep a little easier this week. I have a chapter to revise for my agent for this book we are hoping to sell (You have no idea how hard I am hoping for this) and still half a pot of coffee left.

Onward!

P.S. If you would like to get a paperback copy of Birchthorn you can order one now from Amazon. For those of you who backed the Kickstarter, your hardcovers and paperbacks will be mailed once I get the paperbacks in. So you can order now if you only backed at the ebook level or want extra copies. Some folks have already received their hardcovers and more are on the way out soon!

Cold Antler Farm is free to read. If you feel the writing was worth more, click here for a voluntary contribution. It is appreciated and encourages these endeavors. Thank you.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home