Friday, June 23, 2017

Excavation Day!

It's been a week of fighting a cold (or pop-up 30s allergies?). I haven't been running or working out much because of it and little tasks like moving buckets full of water up a hill became tiring much faster. I'm glad to say that cold has began to slide off. My head is clearer and eyes are brighter, which is surprising since most of the day was spent around a broken toilet.

With the mortgage finally caught up I felt it was okay to work on priority number 3 for this farmhouse. (Priority number 2 is earning the next mortgage payment!) P3 was repairing plumbing and a friend of fellow farmers Patty and Mark who happens to be a pro plumber stopped by this morning. We took the toilet apart and off the pipes, dug up the septic, and had adventures with a lost snake (the tool not the animal), cut and repaired pipes, and enough digging to feel it in my shoulders. It was 4 hours of work and we're still not done but this Angel in Coveralls named Dan busted his ass trying to help with drainage blockage. I found the above treasure while looking for the septic lid.

At the end of it all I asked him what I owed him and since he didn't solve the problem he refused payment. I sent him home with some pork chops and he'll be back at 7AM. The good news is the rate is reasonable. I can pay him tomorrow after we fix the issue (I am being positive about this) and that is a good feeling.

And honestly, how often do you get a chance to really clean behind a toilet tank? Today I got that chance. Livin' the dream.

In other farm news the place has found its summer rythem. My days start with my boss, which is a small spiral notebook including the day's to do list. Because I'm kind to myself at 6:30AM I write down "Make coffee" every time to have something joyous to check off. Then the list of morning chores is done, checked off animal and task by animal. Some days items are added by need. For example: Trim goat feet, scrub hawk mews, make soap, or weed potato patch might be added along with morning food and water resources. Today the goal was just to get everything done before the mechanic arrived so I could help him dig and pass him tools. I'm glad I stuck to that list because plumbing waits for no woman when it gets fussy.

Many good things are in the works. No news or reasons to crack open bottles of champagne but I am optimistic about these things as well. What's the alternative? 

7 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I had to have the well looked at this week. There was a small electric problem. When I received the bill today....I held my breath. The big surprise, the work was covered under warranty and there was no charge. I am very happy about that.

June 24, 2017 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Except for the stink and the mess, the trying to work in cramped spaces and not being strong enough to loosen stubborn nuts, I kind of like plumbing. It's a giant puzzle, figuring out firstly what the idiots who built an old house thought was a reasonable way to run pipes (a diagram of ours would look like a toddler's scribbles) and secondly connecting pieces like tinker toys for adults. I don't like the problem being with a toilet, however; we've always had homes with one bathroom and it gets way too interesting. Hope yours is resolved today.

June 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Danette Whittle said...

I feel your pain, we inherited an ancient system here running off only well water with a festering, leaking full pit....I have blocked memories of the early months here from my mind!!
Plumbing here is an ongoing job but we are slowly getting there, the latest was to add in solar water panels which meant a lovely new big water storage tank going, to see the rusted filthy old one get cut out was a happy day I can tell you!Our property is over 500 years old & it feels like we are the only ones to have ever repaired & replaced & maintained it!I wont start on the nightmares we have had with drains....oh but the time the area flooded 2 years ago & water pumped up out of the boot room flagstones like some crazy water fountain feature, that wasnt too funny I remember...argggg
Kind regards
Danette

June 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Danette Whittle said...

Ps I hope you scrubbed up the My Little Pony & its now nailed to Merlins stable door with a garland round its neck, you could decorate it seasonally hhahahaa!

June 25, 2017 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Erin O'Connell said...

I remember my parents were forced to update the plumbing in their 1910 house (after a pipe burst in the middle of a New England March and water from the heaters flooded the entire second floor) I remember the plumber telling my Dad that in his 40 years of work he had never seen pipes soooooo "tangled" before. I remember being a kid and thinking that that was a great word to describe plumbing. Tangled.

June 25, 2017 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

I love this post! Optimism and practicality and logistics and farmy things. Great combo

June 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Jacey Storer said...

Worked on plumbing in my fixer upper today. Redoing/adding to what we had previously put in. You learn by living. I found out I rather enjoy plumbing.

June 27, 2017 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home