Friday, May 5, 2017

Shearing Day

Shearing Day was last Saturday, and after nearly a decade of keeping sheep I can say Cold Antler finally has this down. The whole process went smoothly, with mostly just myself and Tom the Shearer available. Together we penned, gated, and pulled out the sheep one at a time for the sole shearer. The eight adult sheep that were in need of haircuts were all done within the hour and as the fleeces piled up I hung them on the fence. That photo of Monday the ram is his beside what was the fleece he was carrying. Streaking is now permitted on this farm.

There is nothing new to say about shearing as an annual chore, only that I am grateful to live in a time and place where traveling sheep shearers still exist. The travel fee is $25 to come to your farm. Every sheep sheared after that is $8, done professionally with the least amount of discomfort to the sheep. I have tried to do this myself and it took over an hour to do one sheep with hand shears. The set of electric shears I had were second-hand and burnt out ten minutes into the job. I have learned the $8 a sheep and gas money for a professional is money well spent.

9 Comments:

Blogger Angelica said...

So what happens now with your fleeces?

May 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger D Green said...

They must feel as if that winter "diet" paid off big time to have that much weight removed in minutes! Sheep looks good!

May 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

WOW! All that fleece is from that one sheep? He's one hairy beast!

May 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

What does a fleece make for you? Just wondering...

May 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Dilettante said...

Monday was still a lamb when I was there for your first Fiddle Camp. My, how he has grown! And how you and the farm have grown. I enjoy seeing your progress and your life. Linda W.

May 6, 2017 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger OneColdAlabamaGirl said...

I live in Alaska and we just sheared yesterday (our first flock of Icelandic sheep). I watched some of your videos and I LOVE your sense of humor! You seem to be doing a great job and I'll be following your blog and videos to learn what else I can do with my seven fleeces. Thanks so much for posting all your hilarious (but awesome) information.

Inuksuk Farms
Delta Junction, AK

May 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Welsh Harlequin said...

Streaking is encouraged on your farm.
Bwahaha!!

May 7, 2017 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Erin O'Connell said...

What do you do with the fleece? Is it sold or do you use it on the farm?

May 7, 2017 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Scottish Blackface fleeces alone are not spinning fleeces, they are harsher wool. I saved some of the wool for home spinning.

May 7, 2017 at 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home