Friday, May 26, 2017

No Rainchecks

When mornings here are nothing but rain and mud, and I know the sun isn't coming out to cast my tiny piece of this world in saturated glow - it really helps having a farm. The work of knowing animals need feeding, that weeds need pulling, and udders need milking removes any sense of malaise. When you are needed there is a direction in your day and contentment in your heart. There are no rain delays in farming. Not unless it's a hurricane you prepared for. Everyday drizzle is no excuse to curl under the covers and just can't. There is no just can't.

To some people I think this is enough to not get into raising livestock, at least not alone. It's understandable. The idea of having to do something when you are sick, scared, or the weather is miserable isn't popular. But knowing that there is no alternative plans for the next morning gives me this quiet superpower. I know that I will be there, carrying milk pails in the rain like this morning. Watching the ducklings waddle past and the floofy Silkie Bantams turn into monsters in the damp. (Instat Skeksis: Just Add Water!). I like seeing the animals in my care warm, happy, and dry in the wake of my rounds. And to start your first cup of coffee having accomplished all that makes the check list of logos and illustrations more manageable. Start the day roaring and you don't want to pull a cat and curl into a ball and pretend the day doesn't exist.

I like that farming requires constant persistence. It's gotten me this far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean Richards said...

Instant skeksis! LOVE it!!! As my chicks started feathering out that's all I could think of every time I looked at them and I didn't think ANYONE would get it....so glad someone does.

May 26, 2017 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Cathy Hoff said...

Nothing to do with this post but since I'm not on Twitter...YES! Keep watching The Handmaid's Tale. It was hard for me to stick with, a bit too like reality right now, but I am up to date on the episodes and it is really good.

May 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home