Sunday, May 14, 2017

Friday's Big Saturday!

Yesterday morning there was a sheep breakout and they headed down the road towards the neighbor’s fields. Gibson saw this from inside the farmhouse and barked a proper warning bark. Then he came running to me whining. Seven years of teaming up with this dog and I instantly knew what had happened. We know our language. I started putting on my boots.

Friday watched from her spot on the easy chair, splayed out for a mid-morning nap while Gibson was at window duty. She seemed interested, but not vocal. She trotted up to see what all the fuss was about as Gibson paced, but she wasn't overly concerned about the breakout. Then I said the magic words, “Let’s go!” they both lit up like salt lamps and raced to the door.

Once the sheep saw the dogs eyeing them up they split into two groups, ewes and lambs. Gibson went after the ewes and had them back in their pen in moments. But the lambs had taken off up a small ravine, and then crossed a neighbor’s utility road on the mountain. Friday raced after them. Raced so fast and so far she was out of sight in a minute, over the crest of the hill.

I was worried since she is about to turn two and save for running behind Gibson when he works, she hasn’t shown much interest in sheep or herding. Border Collies aren’t all insta-herders. Breeding from proven working stock ups your chances, but every dog has its own mind. Some simply prefer chasing sticks or squirrels instead of 200lbs sheep with mounted defense units on their skulls.

So I assumed Friday was up there just chasing sheep. Just running because she’s a dog and loves to run and hey look at them go! By this point Gibson was back beside me, panting and looking up the hill at where Friday and lambs had gone. I told him to stay beside me. Let’s wait a minute?

And then I heard, "baaa bbbaaaaa BAAAAAA!!!!!"

I looked and out of the woods, side by side, were the missing lambs racing towards the pen and the rest of the flock. About 100 yards behind them was Friday, weaving and sliding back down the forested hillside like Artemis in canine form. The lambs sped past me and Gibson rallied, delivering them back to their mates. Now on the solid ground of our road, Friday came loping towards me with the biggest dog smile I had ever seen. She leapt up into my arms and kissed my face. I hugged her the way people hug loved ones back from war. Holy crap I was so proud of that little punk.

My Girl Friday might be a boss bitch after all!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jul said...

Jenna, i have been training dogs for 50 years, not all breeds, but every category ( working dogs primarily, but took all kinds and not a few remedial cases), Every time I read a personal post like Friday "getting it", i tear up and smile. Kudos to you for helping her find her style and being patient for her to mature in to it. Gibson and Friday have the life they were born for and you to thank for it. You are on the good path, stay the course.
Jul

May 14, 2017 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger FullyFleeced said...

that was awesome. way to go Friday!

May 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I am WAAY behind! I thought you only had one lamb~ a ram lamb that is kind of young? How many lambs, ewes/ wethers was that girl chasing?

May 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

Love this!

May 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great happy story. Love it.

May 15, 2017 at 6:00 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Hooray!

May 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger FrankieSullivan said...

This literally gave me goosebumps - great story, and great story-telling! Go, Friday!!

May 16, 2017 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Cathy Hoff said...

Good girl Friday!!

May 19, 2017 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa B. said...

OMG...this was awesome. Way to go, Friday. 😊

May 27, 2017 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home