Friday, April 7, 2017

Spring's Inside

Outside this farmhouse it has been gray and muddy and unpleasant as can be. April's always unpleasant. It's a month of messy transition and as far away from October as possible. I always feel a little lost in April. I decided to bring spring indoors. Why wait?

There is a happy little brooder with chicks and ducklings. Khaki Campbells and Silkie Bantams. A few weeks ago I planted some snap pea seeds in a large container near the glass windows.I cleaned up, restrung, and tuned my banjo and I have learned it is nearly impossible to feel down when you can hear the chirping of babe fowl beside bright banjo rills. There's new life, seedlings, music and a house no longer in need of constant fires to keep it warm. Hunting season is over for my hawk and she is enjoying this pre-molt feast in her off season. There's a rumor next week will bring sunshine and days in the 70s. If that is so I will celebrate with some longer runs out in this beloved county of farms and fields. Everything is coming back to life.

Still waiting on the rest of the lambs in the flock. But while I wait for them, looks like Bonita and Ida are ready to start having kids in the next few weeks, perhaps even sooner. I don't want to anticipate it too soon, but I am washing to milking pails and getting baby bottles prepped. Kids will be such a fun thing to have in the house and if they arrive before the big Poultry Swap in May - will be easy to sell. I am toying with the idea of keeping one male to castrate as a pack animal trained for hiking. Just toying. But the combination of mountain breeds and sturdiness of Boer, Nubian and Alpine will create a very handsome beast indeed.

Also, just a note. If you want to see daily updates, three times as many photos, and lots of other stuff about my interests and personality - follow me on Twitter. I hope to phase off of Facebook soon. I'm @coldantlerfarm there.


10 Comments:

Blogger Leanne Henninger said...

And now I want a pack-goat. I just added that to my life goals.

April 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I remember when you had Finn. When was that? 2009? Where were you then... Idaho? Wow! Time flies!

April 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Angelica said...

I sure do hope you will do more YouTube videos- I love watching and listening to your story.

April 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger Danette Whittle said...

Jenna I left a comment on the previous post Goals but its not showing? did I do something wrong? I havent' been able to comment on Blogger for ages as mucked up my passwords when I moved my blog to Wordpress( long story!) Since having a google password I thought it would work now, but mebbe not...?
Spring is glorious here, we are down the beach at every available moment, soaking up the sunshine even in the chill North winds.

April 11, 2017 at 4:38 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Pack goats are great! IF you have the fencing for them!

April 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I need a new laptop to do those videos again, I did them all with a iMac and they were filmed, edited, and uploaded on it. But I lost it a summer or so ago. I will make more soon as I have the ability to go outside and film them again!

April 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Danette, you did nothing wrong comments were disabled for that post.

April 11, 2017 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Danette, I got your long comment. I read it and thank you for it. But if someone sends a long, personal, letter style comment I Aldo don't feel comfortable posting something like that publicly. I know boundaries are complicated when I am so open with my personal feelings and thoughts here, but if someone is clearly just writing to me - I don't post it. I do thank you for it.

April 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Lynette Kendall - Doula said...

I just found you again and am so happy. But saddened to hear you're phasing off FB as I'm not on Twitter. I hope I can still read about your adventures somehow.

April 11, 2017 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger multitaskingmissus said...

That little duckling just brings a smile to my face. You are so right about those little chirps bringing happiness. I can't keep a big goofy grin off my face when I hear those little chicks chirping around here. :)

April 13, 2017 at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home