Sunday, April 16, 2017

Good Things

I snuck this photo of Gibson, watching the goat's pen in the barn. He is looking in the direction of the sounds of grunts and nickering from Bonita and Ida on the other side of the wall. We spent an hour there this morning. I sat on a bale of hay in the warm light of spring. Gibson lay at my feet, his tail wagging softly. I brought my banjo, a gift mailed to me years ago by a sweet reader. She saw I had to sell my old banjo when things got tight, and wanted to replace it. There was a catch, though. She made me promise to never sell it. We both kept our word. It's one of my most treasured things. It's older than the dog in the photo, I believe.

In that sunny barn I played waltzes and old-timey tunes. They were not perfect but the more I practiced the easier they came. The goats couldn't stop watching me when I started to strum but about ten minutes later they made nests in their straw-lined pen and chewed cud. Any moment a kid might be born to the sounds of songs as old as this farm.

As I was playing. As my dog lay beside me. As the goats chewed. As the sun warmed my back. As the music swirled from the barn - as all this happened an Ameraucana hen was laying an egg in a nesting box a few feet away. I could hear the grunts of the pigs in the distance. The sheep on the hill baaed. Merlin snorted. My small world felt safe and perfect.

I have set up my entire life to facilitate moments like this - and I am telling you even with all those ten-thousand decisions - perfect moments are rare. All the more reason to love them, pray they come again, share them here.

I hope your Sundays are full of good things.

Cold Antler Farm is free to read. If you feel the writing was worth a dollar, click here for a voluntary contribution. It is appreciated and encourages these endeavors.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Beautiful

April 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

It was as if I were there. Thank you

April 16, 2017 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

It is as if I were there. Thank you.

April 16, 2017 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

Wonderful, thank you so much

April 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Autumn Smith said...

Perfect moments are so worth it! An unparalleled satsifaction of soul!

April 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home