Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Full House

It’s been a long morning. I was up at 6:30, but that isn’t early enough. I was still washing dairy pails and trying to train the kids to take the bottle (one has it down!) two hours later. The farm is now bursting with new life and animals. Chores that took twenty minutes a few weeks ago now take hours. There's so much more to do and while that is exciting — it is humbling realizing how beat I felt by 10AM.

Nothing whips you into homestead shape like April. Brooders, duckling pens, seedlings, kids, feeding schedules, lambing, kidding. I called the post office around 8AM and found out the chicks have not arrived yet, but I was fully prepared to settle in 25 chickens in my living room among nickering goat kids learning how to use their fancy new legs. Life is messy right now. And loud. But as the morning is winding down and I’ve scratched a few items off my to-do list, I feel a bit of breathing room. I'm checking in with you.

The kids are a cross of purebred Alpine does and a Nubian/Boer cross buck. They are big and hearty. They are also for sale, since I don't think I will be keeping a kid going into fall. At least now these two kids. The doe is the one with the erect ears and she is $100, the buckling is $75.

I am expecting Bonita to kid soon. Between office work and chores I poke my head into her pen and can already see she is nesting and preparing for the delivery shortly. In a few days this house will be quite the menagerie.

I have a couple coming for some chicken 101 classes this weekend and besides the chicks indoors and signed books waiting for them - they are going to be slammed with cute overload. Goat kids are adorable, just little deer-like pixie beasts that flop around the house. It's a real happy check I can cash in, every single time I hold them. I hope the sun is shining and they see how amazing a backyard flock can be!


Cold Antler Farm is free to read. If you feel the writing was worth a dollar, click here for a voluntary contribution. It is appreciated and encourages these endeavors. Photo of the very frazzled me taken by Patty Wesner.

8 Comments:

Blogger A.L. M. said...

Wow that's awesome stuff. If I had even one of those livestock situations going on right now i would be ecstatic. Someday, soon. Enjoy!

April 18, 2017 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

It is never boring! Thank you!

April 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's so exciting! What seedlings do you have planted?

April 19, 2017 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Just lettuce, spinach, and snap peas. Still nice to see sprouts!

April 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Are they inside or are you able to plant outside now that the temps have stabilized?

April 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Renee M. said...

Jenna, you look absolutely radiant in this photo. Just like your farmstead, you are ever evolving too. (In a good way!) -- Renée

April 19, 2017 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey thanks Renee! It's after a very long day. But working on it!

April 20, 2017 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

The greens were planted directly as seeds outside in large containers (not garden yet) and the peas were planted in a container inside and moved out to the porch and right now they are kinda failing, so keep them in your prayers.

April 20, 2017 at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home