Sunday, April 16, 2017

Bitches & Honey

Life aint nothing but bitches and honey
Woke up early and excited to run to the barn and check on the girls. The sun was out, the weather was warmer than it’s been in weeks, and yesterday I managed a 10k without blisters causing me to limp around the farm for a few days. (Which is what happened earlier in the week when I ran five miles last weekend without the right socks. Guys, I was feeling good and I didn’t even have coffee yet. Magic happens.

Still no kids, but possibility is thick in the air. The does are at the point where they are rubbing and biting their bellies, grunting, leaking viscous fluids and have udders tight as drums. In my years of goat breeding experience with Alpines, I have learned this means kidding can happen in fifteen minutes or two weeks.

I have some good news to share! This month I have been working my tail off acquiring design clients and a few illustration ones. Thanks to that and some budgeting I have been able to catch up on some bills this April. That is a BIG deal and a sigh of relief. I am now just one payment behind on the farm, and when I can manage that I will officially turn into Wonder Woman and ascend to a higher astral plane. Well, probably not, but I won’t have as much trouble sleeping at night. It all feels close enough to touch.

March and April were emotionally exhausting here. The combination of the end of a long dark winter, bad news, and the very shaking state of the farm caused enough anxiety to make cocaine look adorable by comparison. (I’ve never done cocaine, but from what I hear it’s expensive self-absorbed anxiety on-demand.) I was fraught. I am still focused and promoting logo sales, fiddle lessons, archery classes, and illustrations like mad on Social Media. Also - I am deleting my Facebook account as soon as I gather the courage to do so, so please do follow me on twitter @coldantlerfarm if you want 5-20 updates, quips, farm pics, and such a day. There’s a lot more about the farm there. Like this pic I posted of Friday with a small frame from the hive. The bees didn’t survive the winter, but they will be replaced and honey harvested for mead!

If you need to contact me outside facebook please use twitter or just email me. Easy!


Cold Antler Farm is free to read. If you feel the writing was worth a dollar, click here for a voluntary contribution. It really helps. You have no idea how much it helps.

9 Comments:

Blogger rebecca allers said...

Jenna, did something happen on Facebook? It's such a bummer you're leaving the platform. I don't have Twitter and you are one of my favs! But I totally understand that you need to put your own sanity and safety first, and I know how terrible trolls can be. Best of luck!!!

April 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey Rebecca, no one thing happened on Facebook that made me want to get off that monster. But the nature of it has gone from fun to invasive to straight-up rude.

I used to go there to talk to friends. Now it feels like walking into a family Thanksgiving dinner where everyone is constantly dissapointed in me. Only instead of it being 10 people that know me, it's also the comments coming from random friends-of-friends and weird uncles who saw a political post and want to share their feelings on it. Strange men hit on me and ask for my address or neg me by saying disgusting things about living with only livestock. I sign on there expecting to have a bad time now.

It's the opposite of my twitter experience which has been professional, invigorating, lead to more freelance work and interview opportunities and there's been almost zero trolling. And if someone is a dick on twitter I just mute them or block them.

I urge you to get on twitter.

April 16, 2017 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Hi Jenna, I dont know that much about Twitter,but I have read your posts since I knew you
were thinking about leaving Facebook. The difference I see, tell me if this is true, the posts are little snippets as opposed to the long posts you write now. I will follow you on twitter
because I have followed you for years. Just wondering if we will still get the long posts sometimes?

April 16, 2017 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Roxanne, do you mean the shorter format of a tweet as opposed to the long-as-you-want-it of Facebook? If that's what you mean - a longer twitter post is called a thread, and it continues in the replies of the original tweet. I do these from time to time.

On twitter you choose the audience and what you consume and it doesn't have to match like on facebook. I follow under 300 people but over 3,000 follow me. So unlike facebook where I am constantly overwhelmed with the news of strangers (because you see everyone you friend unless you manually ask it to do otherwise) I only see updates from those 300 people. And I try to make it people I only know personally or are in comedy, public farming, writing, or entertainment. So unlike logging on Facebook and getting the news and opinions of 3000 people (plus anyone they know who feels like chiming in on public poss) I just get my 300 and most have zero interest in me. Which is great.

That's why twitter is easier, safer, less emotionally draining.

April 16, 2017 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I also think Getting Off Facebook will be better for this blog. It needs a redesign, a logo section/art area added, a revamp all around. Facebook is an easy way to get instant validation and I think without it I'll write more and create a better place here.

April 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Also, I updated my profile pic. I think it matches my personality spot on.

April 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Thanks for the info Jenna. Just one more question, will you have a "page" that shows your ad info etc? Thank you for your patience.

April 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Roxanne - I hope this blog and the new site will take care of that!

April 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Janet Hamilton said...

Jenna, I've found Instagram to be positive and I'm drawing Supporters from there. I'm tired of the negativity on Facebook. I've left and come back several times. I bet you feel at peace being off it. I enjoy your Writing.

April 24, 2017 at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home