Thursday, March 23, 2017

Summer Is My Fuel

Good news to share all around from this scrappy farm on the mountain! Birchthorn backers got their books this week and the novel launched on Amazon for download. Over 50 copies sold the first day, and if you were one of those people - thank you! So far the feedback from readers has been wonderful and encouraging. I had no idea how to write a novel and it was the hardest writing I have ever done. I am not sure I am cut out for it, since I wrote and rewrote that small story for over 18 months to puzzle together. A lot of struggle for what takes just a few hours to read. But it seems most people enjoyed it, and that was my highest goal. I have a whole new respect for anyone who tackles fiction. This is why George RR Martin takes decades between books! How is he not insane?!

In other good news: I am just a few sales away from making another mortgage payment this month.  If I can do that before the 28th (bank deadline) the farm is out of hot water going into full blown lambing, kidding, planting and milking! I believe I can pull it off, and that is the only attitude I can have in this situation. My coffee is hot, the sun is shining, and winter is almost behind us. Bodes well for this Reckless Optimist.

Guys, I can not tell you how much I am looking forward to summer. Summer has become my driving force as I try my damnedest to look forward without fear. I think of days waking up to milking and farm chores, then (already dripping sweat) heading to the river to dive into the water as if it is my own private oasis. I bring a book and a fly rod and read and fish and dry off in the sun for an hour. This is my air conditioning. After that, head home by 10AM to sit down to work in front of the screen and take breaks when I need to step outside and scratch Sal's chin or watch the kids use the chicken tractors as trampolines. This is paradise.

My summer days are the perfect mix of sitting down to work on creative projects and feeling that fever-dream energy of endless sunshine. Running 10 miles at a time and training for a marathon. Shooting arrows till my arms burn. Feeling all that summer hibernation weight fall aside and loving the blessed humidity. I will always love humidity. It brings green lush life to this mountain. It brings fireflies. It brings thunderstorms. That amazing sheen of life on a world that had to fight all winter just to keep fires burning... Summer is the pay off.

I am writing you this morning with a smile on my face. The novel is out, and people seem to like it. The farm is at the home stretch of being okay. Winter is almost over. Almost time to run free.


Get Your Copy of Birchthorn Now for $4.99!

Cold Antler Farm is free to read. If you feel the writing was worth a dollar, click here for a voluntary donation. The photo was taken by Miriam Romais.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

It has been a long wet fall and winter here in Oregon. I am ready for sunny, warm days.

March 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Micki Brown said...

You had mentioned that the email version was sent out to us backers ... I never received mine!

Micki Brown

March 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

hi Micki, the email didn't come from me but from Kickstarter and was sent to whatever email you have registered with Kickstarter. If you don't have update 28 with the link to download the book - you can log into Kickstarter and download it from the Birchthorn page. It's there and been live since the 20th I believe?

March 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Micki Brown said...

Jenna, I found the Kickstarter/Birchthorn page, but can't figure out how to to get the ebook. I guess as a $45 donor, I'll be receiving a signed copy anyway. I really prefer real books rather than the e-versions.

March 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Micki, email me and I will email you the ebook! Sorry you are having trouble!

March 26, 2017 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Jenna just wondering if we are able to purchase hard copies? I have all of your books and would like to add it to my collection! I did pledge but couldn't wait so ordered right away on kindle! $ well spent as the writing is excellent and the story well told! Jlmk thank you!

March 28, 2017 at 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home