Saturday, March 18, 2017

Chicks Ordered

First chick order of the spring was arranged yesterday. Two dozen egg laying hens are coming in the mail from Stromberg’s Hatchery. They will get here closer to the end of next month. I already have plans set for their brooder I’ll arrange here in the farmhouse. The spot is picked out for the wooden box with the heater, close to the pot of snap peas I planted. That little pot already has inch-tall shoots coming up which is a beautiful thing next to the glass doors holding back a foot of snow. Chicks and snap peas, these are harbingers of summer coming in few months. Dust off the banjo and relearn some favorite waltzes and you have a powerful combination of tools to welcome the Solstice. Winter is almost behind me, and I say good riddance. A box of chicks coming in the mail is no different than starting seeds - it is the intention of keeping on. It's choosing to grow.

4 Comments:

Blogger deborah jacobs said...

You grow girl. I'm with you in that. Even at 60 plus. Maybe especially at 60 plus. Hang in there. I know you will.

March 18, 2017 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Angelica said...

Positivity empowers.

March 18, 2017 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Shelly Musyj said...

You and me both! My fresh ready-to-lay pullets are ordered and I'll be driving 400km next month to get them (and that's the closest location!) and my first time raising meat birds will be this summer (and it's entirely your fault! ;) 40 day old chicks will be here at the beginning of May!

March 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger multitaskingmissus said...

Chicks are the best! I keep trying to convince my husband that it's not unreasonable to keep a half a dozen chicks in the bathtub of our apartment. But, we do only have the one and they're definitely not covered under the lease. My friend just got his chicks last week, so for now I'll have to live vicariously through all the other people getting their baby chicks.

March 22, 2017 at 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home