Thursday, February 9, 2017

Snow Day

A blizzard hit the northeast today, and this farm got a nice coating of fresh snow. While we didn’t get nailed as much as other parts of the state - a decent 5-8 inches (depending on drifts/wind) came and changed up our usual routine. When snow comes in any measurable amount my chore list gets doubled. Today was a constant rotation of checking on animals, shoveling paths, raking roofs, checking fences, feeding, bedding, water, repeat. Lots of coffee. Meals are fast and infrequent.

Between outside trips I managed to work on my daily minimum of three clients. I wish I had done more. The work is certainly needed since the truck isn’t starting, which happens whenever the air gets really moist. It’s the starter wiring - which is as old as Taylor Swift and needs to be replaced. I just can’t justify the repair right now.

I snapped that picture of Merlin first thing in the morning. We got hit with the snow around dawn, and it came hardest between then and 9AM. Merlin doesn't wear a blanket, never has. He has access to a pole barn (2 actually) but he chooses to be out in the snow most of the time. That thick white covering is there because his body is insulated by a thick coat. His body heat isn't hitting the snow to melt it. He looks like a Game of Thrones character, but really that's the sign of a warm pony. I'm glad I got this pick because moments later he shook most of it off.

Now it's evening and the day is behind me. Around dusk the farm becomes two colors - blue and orange. The color of dying light and the burst of flames from the stove. 

You might notice a specific tone in the posts this winter. A voice based on getting work done, being proud of what’s been accomplished, and keeping on. That’s because I need to hear it. I need to write it to myself. Read it to myself. Check off lists. See it. I tend to either write at the end of the day or early in the morning, and both of those periods need the balm of personal inspiration. I know I am not alone. All of us have some sort of demon nipping at our heels. Some of us are dealing with anxiety over our jobs, relationships, kids, money, school, spouses, illness, family, etc. All of us are fighting our own fights. You might not have farms or blizzards, but you have stories and obstacles. I hope sharing this story shows you what a stubborn person can accomplish.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nikoletje said...

I particularly love this post. Everything about it.
I like that you write first & last thing. Because that's often when I read your blog. All the way from the other side of the world in another time zone. From my (& the banks) 17 hectare farm in Cygnet, Tasmania, Australia. Where it is late summer, the hay is in, the ground is dry, the hills are golden, the horses are shiny in their summer coats and there is a hint of autumn in the air in the morning.
Anyway, thank you for sharing. You are awesome and so is Merlin.

February 10, 2017 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger sarah e blog said...

I heard a great quote this week, and I think it fits you well..."I don't howl with wolves, they come when I call." That makes me think about you in regards to your stubbornness 😎

February 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Just a thought about wet starter wiring. We had a new car that used to die on us when the wires got wet. Then a garage took a can of plastic spray ( auto type, I assume) and sprayed the heck out of the wires. It completely coated them and we never had another problem.

February 10, 2017 at 7:25 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

That horse looks sad/

February 11, 2017 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I will look into the wiring spray, thank you.

February 11, 2017 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thank you Nik, keep on keeping on!

February 11, 2017 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

The horse isn't sad, just snowy. I think any draft horse in a snow storm would look pretty much the same. :)

February 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home