Thursday, January 12, 2017

Promise


Every night before I turn out the lights the same thing happens. The dogs and I find our favorite positions in the bed and cuddle close. I hold those two collies, and listen to the sounds of them letting go of the day. My dogs rarely nap. They are up and active and with me all day. Their sleep schedule is mine, so when I finally say “to bed” their bodies exhale with this grand permission to not Border Collie for a few hours.

Gibson sleeps so deep that sometimes I worry his heart stopped. Friday - who never ever seems to stop running circles and picking fights with Gibson’s ears - curls into a ball. We are a happy trio. Before I sleep, I look them in the eyes and tell them the same promise.

You’ll never go to sleep without food in your belly, a roof over your head, and all the love you could ever need.

I love my dogs. I really do. But I realized today that I never make that promise to myself. So far I’ve been fed and housed, but I don’t ever give myself the love I need. I’m not talking about friends, family, or lovers. I mean just loving myself enough to let myself stop being a Border Collie. To let go. To sleep knowing that not being hungry and dry is enough for tonight.

You’ll never go to sleep without food in your belly, a roof over your head, and all the love you could ever need. 

8 Comments:

Blogger C. A. Smiley said...

Lovely.

January 13, 2017 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Mazie said...

Amen Jenna! Sweet dreams to your trio ♡

January 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger Mazie said...

Amen Jenna! Sweet dreams to your trio ♡

January 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger deborah jacobs said...

Thank you.

January 13, 2017 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 13, 2017 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

So insightful! So glad you had this realization and shared it. I bet I do the same kind of thing. Thanks, your little gem may help me give myself love, too.

January 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

So true. And when you look at people who are homeless and in poverty, we all should realise how very much we do have. And be grateful and thankful.

January 13, 2017 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

aww, sweet dreams to you and your dogs every night.

January 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home