Wednesday, January 4, 2017

MARCO!

Today I woke up to rain; this odd little break in the cold weather. It was in the forties and soggy and the whole farm looked like someone poured a fish tank of coffee grounds over a white canvas and then let their dog poop on it before throwing it in the river. A slush of grossness. In one afternoon it could turn to a snow globe scene again, but this morning it was unpleasant as can be. To top it all off there was a sheet of ice under this treasure trove so walking around became a full contact sport.

Outside the sheep looked a lot like I felt. Dry sheep look beautiful on green grass. They look warm on fresh snow. But on icy mud they look shipwrecked at best.  Merlin had the dour look of someone stood up on prom night. The chickens however walked around as if it was any other day of the year. I felt a pang of envy for a brain the size of Penny Lincoln's. I fed out some second-cut and suddenly the supposedly-gloomy livestock sprung to life and the Lady Hoggets raced down the hillside and Merlin's ears perked. Amazing how far a little August grass goes with farmyard morale.

Anyway, morning chores really messed with my head for a little while. I don’t mind insane cold in winter or intense humidity in summer, but when the seasons cheat on me like this I get personally offended. This is idiotic. It took some serious caffeine infusions and decent music to get out of the funk.

And snapping out of the funk was 100% necessary. I wasn’t going to spend my day feeling victimized by things outside my control. The older I get the less interesting I find people who allow their emotions and reactions to do all the driving. I said the phrase I often say when I am in a bad mood, "Daddy's Driving" which means exactly that. I heard Pete Holmes say that about his mood and love it.  It means The Adult is in control, not the petulant, childlike feelings.

My earbuds were playing his podcast. An episode I highly recommend listening to because it always makes my mood improve - It’s an episode of You Made it Weird with Kyle Cease. They talk about changing their owns lives, self transformation, anxiety, peer-pressure, motivation -  but all of it from a grounded place. While listening I had already forgotten the mush outside. I was inside now. Back to a warm farmhouse with a fire I already started, one cup of coffee down (another waiting!), and I realized I had won the battle of my bad mood. I did need to crank a record for a little morning dance party (Thank you, Taylor), watch this Disney clip, etc, but you do what you need to when you're picking out how your day will go. All that blended with the little accomplishment of knowing every animal out there on my land had a full belly, a roof, a windbreak, a warm bed, and cold well water - that made me feel better. Sometimes I even start my daily to-do list with every outdoor chore listed and checked off just to feel like I'm already on a roll. I mean, if I am going to act like a child let it be the one that needs this blog - the kid dancing on stage for attention, asking for validation, yelling MARCO! into the void so that a friend I haven't met yet can answer from their own laptop and coffee spot. I'm going to keep being me. I like her.

Farm news is pretty stagnant. It is winter and I am selling pork and lamb shares, lamb fleeces, and fiddle lessons for next year. I booked a couple coming for a private all day Chicken 101 workshop I am pretty excited about. The logos and illustrations are slow but I sure am trying my best to sell them. I have no reason to complain - as I said before - all my problems can be fixed with hard work and some self control. It's a more enviable place to be than a chicken. Chickens can't dance to How You Get the Girl cranked to 11. Keep your little brains ladies, Daddy's Driving.

12 Comments:

Blogger Pilates Paula said...

I do love your descriptions.
Polo!
Can you say more about selling lamb fleeces? Only to locals or do they ship?

January 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Claire... said...

Polo! From Australia, on my first day back at work after a summer Christmas and New Years in sunny Queensland visiting my family... Our lives are very different :) and yet not all that different you know?

January 5, 2017 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks guys! Paula - did you email me at my old email about games? If so can you resend to dogsinourparks@gmail.com?

And I ship fleece!

January 5, 2017 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks Claire, not different at all (not sarcastic). I think like-minds and lives have little to do with location and furniture and a lot more on how we see the world and what excites us.

January 5, 2017 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

We have a lot of cold/melt/cold/melt around here which gives us the same sheet of ice you're describing. Might I recommend Yak Trax. I could not live without them. I can walk on glare ice with zero slippage at all. I got mine at a local sporting goods store, but I'm sure you could order them online. Here's to no slip and falls!

January 5, 2017 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Love Yaks! But I have yet to go a year without them ripping/falling off/getting lost.

January 5, 2017 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

Hmmm. I've had mine for years. I did see that, for whatever reason, some do not have the velcro strap across the instep. That keeps them on. I guess some knock-offs don't have those straps. Maybe give the name brand another go?

January 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Yup, use the name brand but the amount i use them is insane and they aren't meant to be crmpons so it makes sense 2 hours of chores, 3 hours of winter hunting, etc - you lose them. But the ones sold at my hardware store do not have velcro

January 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

Love my Yaks! Yours fall off? That's weird. We routinely have feet of snow every winter but I've had my Yaks for 5 years. Never lost one yet.

January 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Mary Beth, I am getting a lot of spam by someone of the same name with an anonymous profile like yours. Comment from a verified account with your picture/web address/email/ID of some sort like Paula, Claire, or I have in this same thread.

January 5, 2017 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger gooddoug said...

Polo!

January 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Nate Madd said...

Polo! Here in southwest Missouri the winters seem to continually fluctuate from cold and clear to warm, muddy, misery.

January 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home