Sunday, January 29, 2017

Documentary!

photo by Sarah Nathan
A few days ago a pair of filmmakers came to the farm. Their names were Luke and Sarah, from NYC and NJ. They set up their cameras and microphones and took a lot of footage of everything from morning chores to running along on a hunt with Aya Cash to learn about falconry. They only stayed a few days, but I think they got what they came for - a combination of interviews, animals, farmland covered in snow and a sassy hawk. It was a kind of vacation for me. My job was to host, farm, and hunt, and while I had a great time - the little things that keep this business running were set aside. Catching up on a lot of work this weekend. Trying to get caught up on all illustration clients today and prep their art to mail. Have a handful of logo clients to check in with. If I'm lucky I'll make a sale

photo by Luke Buck
There is a lot to catch you up with - farmwise. I want to talk about prepping the ewes for lambing, picking breeds for chick orders (earlier deliveries than last year), and getting piglets soon as possible for summer growing.  The way to beat the cold is to plan for warmth. Especially since we are heading into what locals here call Winter's Bottom - the deep end of the pool, guys. Cold stretches ahead in February and then the mess of March hopefully granting some warmer temps for the new lambs. I used to despise spring (and I still hate April) but this many years into the farm I see it more as a celebration of surviving the harder months. It's growing on me. 


8 Comments:

OpenID peacelovepointers said...

My name is Sarah, and my brother's name is Luke, and we used to make little films together, so I smiled when I read this post. It makes me miss him, though, as he is at college.

January 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Molson said...

HI Jenna,


How exciting and I hope we all can view the film!!!!!!!!!

I saw a wonderful documentary called the Eagle Huntress, a nomad child
in Mongolia with her eagle.
Please try and see it, It is so wonderful.

January 29, 2017 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Molson said...

HI Jenna,


How exciting and I hope we all can view the film!!!!!!!!!

I saw a wonderful documentary called the Eagle Huntress, a nomad child
in Mongolia with her eagle.
Please try and see it, It is so wonderful.

January 29, 2017 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks guys! It will be a short piece, not a movie. Should be only a few minutes but still excited to see it. A very embarrassing part of me is upset I am not in summer shape and gained 10 pounds back from running. So I am puffier than I was all summer (per that photo up there).

January 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Laura Dinkins said...

Jenna when you are an 80 year old woman you will look back at those photos and say wow I was "fierce", revel in all that you are, for you are truly unique and have so much to be proud of.
There are not many women who could take on your life.

January 29, 2017 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger LoudLenny said...

Where did you get the Thor's Hammer. Pretty cool

January 31, 2017 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Very sweet comments here, thank you!

January 31, 2017 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

LoudLenny - This was a gift from a reader family in Canada, forged by the Blacksmith Andrew Sheehan. I have been wearing a mjolnir for a few years now. They were just inexpensive ones I bought online but this was sent as a gift from readers/farmers/family Sam and Andrew. I sent them back some art as a Thank you. I was very touched.

January 31, 2017 at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home