Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Beaters

photo by c. oliver
This past weekend was the Martin Luther King Jr Falconry Meet here in Washington County. Falconers from around the state traveled to share in the hunt on a larger scale. I love this event. I love all Falconry Meets and picnics. I wish I could go to more, but the farm keeps me close to her. It's a small sacrifice to hold onto a dream I work on every day.

So what did we do? We do a lot of drinking and eating, but when it comes down to it - it's all about the birds. Hunters meet at a specific location and those of us with birds bring our animals in travel boxes called Giant Hoods. Giant Hoods are light-restricting crates with perches in them (the hawk version of a dog crate). The hawks wait in these hoods while we take turns releasing them one at a time to hunt. The people assembled serve the bird. We walk around the forest and fields flushing game for them. The whole while we are talking, telling stories, laughing. It is a happy scene. I got this photo from the last day of the meet. My friend Jeremy and his bird Tesla returning from a hillside hunt with all the brush beaters alongside him. A beautiful moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine Park said...

This sounds like bliss. Spending time with good, like-minded people, while making our animals happy and letting them do what they were born to do. Does it get any better than that?

January 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Stunning photograph of Aya Cash on your glove there Jenna! in fact she's just plain stunning. so beautiful to look at. I always think wings are such clever natural engineering :-)

January 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home