Sunday, December 11, 2016

Better Winters

Snow is coming and today is all about being prepared for it. I am going to stack the rest of my huge pile of wood (a cord+) today, pick up hay from Common Sense Farm, grab extra feed, and figure out a simple pot of something warm for dinner. Potato soup sounds grand and I have all the ingredients on hand to make enough to pick from whenever I need a boost.

I am happy to report this morning I woke up warm and comfortable by the fire. I slept downstairs with my dogs, cats, and the hawk roosting for the night indoors. I was ready for it, and it was a happy preview of a better winter. The medication from Urgent Care let me sleep through the night and I feel rested and excited for this morning. My work is set before me - both for farm and freelance - and I have creamy soup to look forward to at dusk when the snow starts falling. I will tuck into that and truly enjoy the tiny accomplishments of a farm content, a body tired, work done, and another cold day met with a toothy grin. I have some yarn from a friend in Ireland to start knitting with, too. And that is what I hope for from this day - work, luck, rest, and potato soup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret Hickey said...

what is your potato soup recipe??

December 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Margaret Hickey said...

What is your potato soup recipe???

December 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Maine homesteader said...

We grew a lot of pumpkins and they make a great soup also. Just combine cooked pumpkin/onion/garlic/curry powder or cumin/turmeric/ black pepper/salt. Put it through a blender and then add some milk. You may need a couple of cups of water if it is too thick. Very good and keeps you warm.
Doesn't New York have a health plan for the "economically challenged"? Maine just throws them under the bus, but I thought NY was more enlightened.

December 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home