Friday, October 7, 2016

Today: A New Fiddler!

Short post this morning, but I wanted to share how thrilled I am with this morning's fiddle workshop! I teach classes in groups and one-on-one. Every once in a while the student coming just gets it. Amy (who traveled here from Ohio!) has been CRUSHING it. She just headed into town for her lunch break, but since we started at 9AM she has learned her first finger position, notes, her first scale,and FIRST SONG! It might be a record!

That photo is Gibson with her new fiddle, which was set up and tuned by me - but now belongs to her. I feel that teaching a brand new person on a  brand new instrument is good. People who pay for both the lesson and the violin feel invested. They made the choice to learn and went so far as to commit through getting an experience, a couple hours of lessons, and their own instrument. The pride I feel when someone leaves here holding that case in their hands like an old friend is huge. Inside the case is an animal they tamed, something they wanted to do a long time and finally figured out.

Tomorrow another student comes from another state. I am so happy I get to do this as a part of how I make a living. Growing people food feels amazing. Teaching people music does, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

Gorgeous!!

October 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Aww, thanks! That's so kind of you. I had a great day at the farm! (And yes, I practiced today.)

October 8, 2016 at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home