Monday, October 17, 2016

2016

Today I trained my hawk using pieces of heart I harvested from a lamb recently slaughtered here on the farm. It was born here, nursed here, was herded by my dogs, ate my grass, and died for meat and pelt. It's hide is salted and curing in a friend's threshing barn. That lamb watched me ride my horse past him. Watched me practice archery in the high field. It saw gardens and piglets, campfires and songs, stories and prayers. It will be enjoyed over many meals - mostly holidays - and its woolly skin will be tanned and then become a blanket I will use to stay warm this winter. Which will mean sleeping beside a roaring fire in a small farmhouse on the side of a mountain.

It is 2016.

You can grow up to be whatever you want, ladies. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

How right you are! Thanks for being an inspiration!

October 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Thank you Jenna - we all need to be reminded of that!

October 18, 2016 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Shelly Musyj said...

Gosh you are so inspiring <3 words I definitely needed this fall in particular!

October 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Molson said...

Love the photo of you and Aya Cash!!!!!!!!!!!!


Fabulous, as well as your advice.


THank you for everything!!!!!! You are a breath of fresh air my friend.

October 19, 2016 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger sarah e blog said...

now that should be your profile pic jenna, it sums you up perfectly:)

October 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home