Friday, October 28, 2016

Stubborn Love

I have a soft-spot in my heart for ornery, stubborn, beings. I fell in love with Merlin when I realized he was just as difficult to get close to as I was. Learning to ride him was learning him. There are horses far more amicable and bidding out there, and I understand the argument that this makes them better stock. But I will always smile when I think of the second time I tried to ride him on my own and he wouldn't leave the driveway - having figured out that the last time he did that we were gone for an hour up a mountain. I know his bucks and hops, his ears and snorts, his eyes and hooves. I know that wonderful mess as well as I know me. I love him more because of those faults.

Which is how I also feel about my truck. Right now it won't run, and judging by the weather report it probably won't run again until Monday. How do I know? Because it's damp out and she's been sitting in that damp for 24-hours in the driveway without being started. One of this horse's crow hops is her need to be ran at least twice a day when it rains or snows - because if not the wiring that causes the engine to turn over doesn't - it has expanded with moisture and the sparks just aren't happening. And yesterday I got so wrapped up in writing and photos and work that I didn't remember to turn to stir the pot. IT won't be sunny and warm again until Monday. Unless I want to pay several hundred dollars for a tow and repair - that's just how it' going to be.

I don't mind these minor inconveniences. I don't mind living beside stubborn things. I kind like it, at least at this point in my life. As much as I wish the truck would run I don't need it to run for 48-hours. There is plenty of hay, feed, and stuff to do. I have a horse to ride, hawk to fly, fences to repair, a house to pretend I know how to clean, etc. I'm not worried. But I did have to turn down an invite out with friends tonight, and I can't meet people over the weekend who aren't willing to travel here. Which is okay since I am hosting dinner for Samhain, as traditionally I have the whole time I lived here. Perhaps being grounded a few days before the Holiday is best. A good time to reflect.

I could argue that some more I guess, but I'd just be being stubborn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Dam I wish I lived closer I could fix your puppy for you

October 28, 2016 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Mariah Zeeb said...

I love how you look to the positive of life even when snow has fallen.I just stumbled on your YouTube channel not long ago and have been addicted since. At only 22 and Montana native, homesteading is something I am working towards. The blog and videos make me feel hopeful, even in the rough times like the one you currently are having. Anywho, thank you for sharing, can't wait for more! (:

October 30, 2016 at 3:38 AM  
Blogger Freetrapper53 said...

You may want to try coating the entire length of each spark plug wire with WD40. It will displace the moisture and act as a temporary seal, repeat as needed until the wires are replaced. It is available in a spray can or liquid form at any hardware store. This should eliminate the need for multiple start ups in damp weather.

November 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Freetrapper53 said...

You may want to try coating the entire length of each spark plug wire with WD40. It will displace the moisture and act as a temporary seal, repeat as needed until the wires are replaced. It is available in a spray can or liquid form at any hardware store. This should eliminate the need for multiple start ups in damp weather.

November 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home