Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Ruminating with a View

I saddled up Merlin after returning from visiting goods friend in Vermont. I was over at Tyler and Tara's place, and got to catch up with them for a bit and surprise them with some delivered lunch. But when I returned to my small farm what I needed was that horse. I got a stressful bit of news today the kind you can do nothing about but wait. So instead of moping indoors I decided to get on that dark horse and hit the wind. Things make more sense a few feet off the ground.

We didn't ride very long, maybe an hour. I wanted to go over familiar trails and take in the view from the top of our small mountain. I am so lucky to have access to such places, and a neighbor who lets me trot around his snowmobile trails in his off season.

When we got to to top of the mountain - what a view! Blue skies, rolling hills, and the touch of color early October brings. From up there I sat back, resting my hands on his rump as he munched the grass and I ruminated on my day. It was clearly fall and the chilly morning had proved that, but I realized I had a little more time than my shady home had me believe. At the bottom of the hill the leaves in the yard—on the trees along the road—they all seemed so yellow and fading. But up there the perspective of so much green still glowed time and chances. It was calming.

I am worried about firewood, winter, keeping all things going strong. This is something I have managed mostly by scraping by over the past few years. I know that isn't how things will be forever, that I am sure of. But right now there is good news and bad news in equal measure jogging outside the perimeter of my life. What can I do but turn on good music, dance, sing, and focus on what good could come - and not what bad might arrive? What will happen will happen. I'll deal with that my mind, body, and wits can handle. The rest is up to the Gods, luck, and the mood of a black pony on a fine fall day. 

4 Comments:

Blogger EZ said...

We got an inch or so of slushy snow here the other night. You never know in the desert....!

October 6, 2016 at 12:35 AM  
Blogger Morgan Shafer said...

I wish you all the best, Jenna, and will donate when I can. I love your blog and wish I had your spunk and gumption. I hope whatever news you're holding out for turns out well, or as best as can be expected. You really are an inspiring and talented person.

October 6, 2016 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey Morgan, the news wasn't financial it was personal and please only contribute to the farm if you feel it is compensation for writing. I am not asking for anything but work opportunities for logo, design, fiddle lessons etc. Which is not to say that kindness isn't appreciated - but this post wasn't about that.

October 6, 2016 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

You are very wise to know so clearly in yourself that you can only do what you can do - as you said , what your 'mind body and wits can handle'.
I'm still working on accepting that and letting go of the rest!
Hope the good news outweighs the bad in the next few days.

October 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home