Thursday, October 6, 2016

Progress and Winter Predictions

Yesterday while in town on my way back from Vermont I stopped in at Common Sense to talk hay. I arranged for 30 bales to be delivered. I am looking forward to adding that to the barn soon and thickening up the stores for winter soon as I can. Living with animals sends a sense of urgency down your spine when mornings like these dip near the 30s, even if the leaves are still green. I have firewood to pick up after lunch as well. Slowly this farm is getting ready for another cold spell.

This week I got to spend time with hawks, horses, and hounds and even on the overcast day it made my mood brighter and eager. There is an excitement I feel working beside these personalities. The clever hawk and my stubborn horse, we find a way to communicate and achieve tiny goals together - sometimes as simple as flying to a fist or taking in a view.

Patty and I were going to go out pheasant hunting this morning but something came up, so I am here taking care of some emails and clients before I head into Salem to pay a bill and pick up some feed. This morning all the farm animals were a little slow going (from the chill I guess). Merlin lumbered to the hay I offered while sheep trotted lazily beside him.  Perhaps they were a little drunk on ground apples?! Whose to say.

I have two fiddles fresh out of their shipping boxes to tune and prepare for this weekend. Two students are coming to spend a day each and tuning starts now. New fiddles take time to set into fresh tension. I'll be tending to that between errands, chores, deliveries, and splitting wood this evening after supper. I hope to end the evening cuddled up with mint tea and good company.


Blogger Christina S said...

I love mint tea!!! Happy Thursday to you in the east!!!

October 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Someday.... When I have a car and the cash to spare.... I want to make a roadtrip and visit your lovely farm and learn to play the fiddle from you! Someday.

October 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Juliet Carol said...

Sounds like Fall is a very busy time at Cold Antler Farm! I enjoy the daily posts, knowing it takes extra effort as you continue your winter preparations!

October 6, 2016 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

The ukulele is a fun little instrument to learn. I found that getting a good ukulele is pretty reasonable, and the chords are easy. I love the small saprano uke that I own, it is very easy to take along. I am so happy that you have some hay on the way. Take care Jenna.

October 6, 2016 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

I'm loving these posts too

October 7, 2016 at 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home