Monday, October 3, 2016

Nothing Motivates You Like Poop

My morning started by walking down the stairs and stepping into the aftermath of an explosion of canine diarrhea. It was on the carpeted stairs. It was on the walls. It was on the railing. I have no idea when it happened in the night but I know it did happen, as my bare feet had plenty of evidence to prove it. Ten years ago that would have made me freak out. This morning I just shrugged. I mean, it was a Monday. What was I expecting? Roses and a cucumber water? I have lived with animals - pets, livestock, and wildlife - for nearly a decade. It takes a lot more than body functions to get a rise out of me these days. It's not like I was out of coffee or something.

Speaking of poo; when I walked outside there were piles of goose crap on the front steps. That is where my three geese now spend the night, right in front of the door. I know what some of you are thinking: "I would never put up with that!" and that is because you are not a single woman living alone in the middle of the woods, who shares that fact online, and who listens to WAY too many true crime podcasts. I will sweep away goose poo with gratitude knowing anyone who would consider breaking and entering would have to deal with Cerberus to get through the front door. And would cause a ruckus of 100 pounds of poultry just stepping onto the property.

Friday's fine, if you're worried about her butt. Last night she got into some snacks set out for Game Night and I don't think her 40-lb frame was ready for that much sliced Kielbasa. She's got plenty of water and the mess is now cleaned up, the carpet soaking, and coffee perking. Friends came over Sunday night and we enjoyed catching up and I enjoyed hosting - but in the fray of conversation I didn't realize she had snagged too much sausage. What do we play on Game Night? We play Games like these.

Outside the farm animals seemed less exciting, which is good. I would be far more worried about lambs with brown rears than a pilfering pup. But the flock of 14 sheep and the Dark Horse that hangs out with them seemed chipper despite the muggy damp of the morning. The goats ate their hay with proletariat gusto. I hauled water and hay, slopped the pigs in the woods (my friends last night brought 3 bags of saved food scraps!) and that made the squeal with joy! That saying happy as a pig in shit has never been spoken that have seen a pig in cupcakes.

It's very grey around here this week. The weather forecast is all rain and cloud cover. It's encouraging knowing I have plenty of work to do inside. I sent some pitches to Reductress this AM and am updating you fine people about the goings on at the farm - and after that I have some clients to email logo files and illustrations to. It's a lot easier to focus on all the stuff on screen when there's a steady downpour and the coffee keeps coming. I have about four hours of work ahead before a break. I'll be watching Archer Season 5 while I draw and design. I think the coffee is almost ready? I better wrap this up...

Yesterday when I went to pick up hay I had a nice chat with Patty and Mark over at Livingston Brook Farm. Patty asked if I wanted to join her and their dog, Harley (a Large Munsterlander) to go out pheasant hunting a morning this week? I jumped at the invitation. I love pheasant and I love the casual nature of that type of upland hunting. Unlike stalking deer or turkeys, it's a social hunt where you can walk tandem with a friend and talk and laugh while a good dog does the work of flushing birds in the brush. I hope we get to go soon on a week day morning when the local gamelands are less busy. Even if "busy" is just another pickup truck.

No new firewood ordered yet, but I did sell one logo this weekend and got an email this morning about someone interested in the sale - which is encouraging. I have 2 people coming for fiddle workshops this weekend - one from Ohio and another from New Jersey. How cool is that? I get to meet some of you readers right here in my living room and a few of you leave with fiddle cases. Not a bad get! Not bad for either of us.

If I can check in more than once a day I will, but I am mostly active on Twitter and Facebook for yelling into the void. Facebook is mostly pop culture, politics, and movies. But Twitter is where you'll see extra photos of the farm, animals, ag stories, and such. So follow me there to see Friday attacking leaves, me attacking tomatoes for sauce later this week, pheasant attempts, and some such.

Have a fine Monday you beautiful people. Grow something, pet something, plant something, eat something!

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

How much does a cord of wood cost this year?

October 3, 2016 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Morning Karen, it all depends but the guy I am using this year charges $200 for a dry cord ready to burn cut 14" or smaller for my small stove. But I have a cord plus right now and will hopefully get another soon as I take care of some other pressing stuff. One day a time!

October 3, 2016 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger A.L. M. said...

LOVING the daily updates!! So fun, thanks

October 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Good ALM! If I get enough feedback like this I only hope to continue!

October 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

Yup, love these daily glimpses into farm/work/animal life. Keep 'em coming!

October 3, 2016 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Sam Sheehan said...

Love getting to peek in the window at how another farm is running things! So much fun

October 3, 2016 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

I loved this, and not I'm on twitter so hope it continues

October 3, 2016 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger holmgrrl said...

Do you hunt with your hawk for pheasant, or hunt with guns?

October 3, 2016 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Aimee Thuen said...

My husband and I play M&M with our kids, among other things. : ) Homesteading nerds unite! Hello from northern Idaho!

October 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I love your daily updates. I love pheasant and pheasant hunting...good luck to you and Patty. My farm is busy with end of summer work. I canned 30 quarts of Apple Pie Filling. Why? I can bring pies to potlucks, and have canned jars to give as gifts. I looked at gourmet food, the price is $13 for a quart jar of Apple Pie Filling...what...that is a shock! Folks are gonna love my homemade product. Those geese are great alarms.

October 3, 2016 at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home