Monday, October 24, 2016

Free Flying!

Good morning from Cold Antler Farm! I do apologize for missing a few days of posts. I had some unexpected (but wonderful!) issues come up and they required my full attention since Friday. I had a visiting journalist and his family come to the farm for an extended interview about my life and passions here in Jackson. The family made the journey from PA and they were wonderful and kind. They also came with some very impressive fiddle skills for a fireside jam on Saturday night! It is so comforting and encouraging to be around other writers making their dreams work.

We talked a lot about this scrappy place, the people who inspire me, and Aya Cash (my hawk) - who got to fly free for the first time on Friday! A month of training and partnership and hard work and I finally let her go. She was put up into a tree without a fetter and when I called her back to my glove she came, again and again. She was rewarded with fat mice on a rabbit lure and I was rewarded with a feeling I don't think I can articulate without witchcraft. I will spend my life trying.

Farmcentric updates include visits from old friends, people where popping in and out all weekend here and there. I saw Weez McCarty of Coyote Crow Farm. She dropped off a station-wagon (a whole face cord) of firewood she bartered for some pork. Cathy and Tim Hoff of Laughing Lab Farm also came by, and man did I miss seeing their smiling faces. The Hoffs were here for a very special reason, to pick up their lamb they purchased from the spring. Friday I picked up the boxed lamb and had the honor to present and deliver the lambs to their families. I drove one lamb to Bennington yesterday for a Connecticut customer who met me there, and I have 2 deliveries left for some locals. Then next step in the lamb harvest is getting the curing hides to the tannery for turning into the gorgeous fleeces they will become in a few months! A great year for this small-scale shepherd. And I was also also to visit with a local farmer and sell the two ewes I needed to move. He is picking them up in a few weeks!

So I have been interviewed, shared my life with strangers who became friends, possibly got a buck deal in the works for my goats, trimmed hooves, flew a hawk, tended to the farm, picked up and delivered lamb shares, sold sheep, moved pork, stacked firewood, and basically steered the farm toward a better place in three days. I also am in cahoots with one of the sponsors of this blog to announce a giveaway later today for all you fine chicken keepers, and I have some ladies visiting from Ontario any minute now for a soap making half-day workshop and author talk and visit. (You can do this, too - just ask). They are leaving this farm with 2 pounds of milk soap, signed books, and hopefully some good memories of this scrappy love letter on the side of a mountain.

Things are good. The farm is slowly getting prepared and getting things in order for winter. I am still selling logos and illustrations (mostly on Facebook), and farm updates are on twitter all day since I am at my computer doing graphic design when I am not outside. My afternoon will include a hunt with Aya Cash (our first real hunt!) and then the rest of the day will include my usual position of working on logos while watching something on the computer - right now I am working through Edgar Wright's list of top 1000 movies. (Which I recommend!) I am not working in order, but picking up films of interest I haven't heard of before. I respect the hell out of that man.

Enjoy your fall days ahead and wish this place luck. Luck is it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

Friday is so pretty

October 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Do you have a link to the article you were interviewed for?

November 11, 2016 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

It hasn't been written yet, to my knowledge. When it is I will share it here!

November 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home