Tuesday, October 11, 2016


It is really hard to start these morning reports without talking about weather. Weather is everything here. It's what plans the entire day, maps out each morning, and is the decision-maker for the evening plans. Being a homesteader there is no fighting that, and it may be the biggest difference between people who live this life and those who don't. If your work means being indoors without anyone outside needing their breakfast delivered - you can wake up, get dressed, and only experience the elements on the way to your car. Here I am outside working at every dawn. And how cold the night was changes everything from diets to firewood types. I wouldn't trade in farm life for anything, but learning all these counter attacks took getting a lot of bruises. Knowing the weight of firewood best suited for a slow burn means flashing up pine and birch for cold mornings, first. Knowing how much cracked corn or extra grain to feed when the temperature drops so no one is wasting extra calories staying warm - that takes noticing a shiver. It's been nearly a decade living beside some of these animals - I am still learning.

This day started in the twenties, coldest yet, and before I sat down with my first cup off coffee (bought a sale brand and bought decaff by mistake.... ugh) I was outside with the crew. I brought hay out of the barn for Merlin and the flock, but they seemed more interested in sitting in the sunshine that was just coming to the mountain. Dewey wool lets off a smokey emission in the first sunlight, just like cold wet ground does. Seeing fog lifting off the backs of sheep or being blown aside by the swish of a horse tail still knocks me back with its simple beauty. Of course weather is everything.

There's a fire inside this house and I need to spend most of the day inside catching up on freelance work. It's an illustration day so I will mostly be lining up a checklist of people's work to create, email for approval, and prep for mail. Yesterday I didn't sit down to an email interview and some logos until after 5PM. I had spent the day doing the most mundane, necessary tasks. Things like laundry in town, groceries, vacuuming the truck, and taking care of some accounting. Today I need to really see to getting that hay delivery in the barn, the leaves off the lawn, and preparing for the slaughter of some lambs later this week. I am really proud of this year's crop - and excited to deliver the meat to the friends who bought it. This is the first year I am sending away hides for tanning as well - an extra small source of income for the farm. I'll keep you posted!

Is it possible that this coffee could make me more tired? I will never misread a label so important ever again.


Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

So sorry about the decaf. That's tragic.

October 11, 2016 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

Going to have caffeine withdrawal headache

October 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Juliet Carol said...

What a lovely picture...!!!!

October 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Decaf=no energy:( Been there, hate it!!

October 11, 2016 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Geeka said...

Your comments about the weather made me laugh. I do sit in and office during the day, but there are 2 things that make me realize that I see weather the way you do: 1) I walk 30 minutes to work. In all weather. Across a bridge is the last half mile. And I do it at 7AM. I don't own non-functional for walking shoes. I hate my feet being wet/cold. I am always making sure I'm dressed appropriately. 2)I'm a scientist, and I have to take care of things in lab no matter how bad the weather is. A foot of snow, all schools closed, and people warned to stay off the roads? Nope, not me. I have to get to work and make sure that things are running smoothly. Things need to be fed, filled and monitored. One snow day and it could ruin 6 weeks of work. I am all about the weather.

October 11, 2016 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Rogel Bitoon said...

You did choose your life well. I'm always dreaming to have one like that. Im starting to blog (thelifeiawe.blogspot.com) also and your's is an inspiration.

October 14, 2016 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home