Thursday, October 6, 2016

Beasts of Leisure

I called Othniel over at Common Sense Farm about the hay delivery and he was busy at another farm and unable to deliver. "No problem," I told him. There wasn't a rush to get it right away and so I headed to another hay bank to get a small load in my pickup. I a glad to have put some hay in the barn a today and soldify plans for more.

I was also able to pick up a large pile of dry rounds from Tara and Tyler's place in Vermont. They are trading the wood for some pork and eggs from the farm here, and I am grateful for the barter. When I got home there was plenty of sun still shining and I had energy to spare. Not the good kind, the nervous kind. So I went for a quick four-mile run with loud music, and then came home and split all the rounds. I still feel jumpy. This is why people call anxiety "free cocaine."

While there are not heaving stacks of hay or wood, there is more, and that's enough for tonight. I look forward to relaxing with that ukulele for a while, which is not something I thought I would constantly be picking up, but I am. For something that reminds me of islands and oceans, it fits in perfectly with this scrappy farm. Moments to tune, minutes to learn a new song. I find myself learning by accident, finding chords and songs while watching. I am a fiddle player - it's my fell pony of instruments - but I get ukes. I'll put info on the book/instrument I am using in the comments. Native Ground is a sponsor of this farm and I am happy to spread the word about their books. They are how I learned to fiddle, play the banjo, and now play this mighty little beast of leisure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Guys! Native Ground is selling the exact same package they sent to the farm - Uke, Book, and CD as a set for $59 plus S%H. (It's the same set you see in this post's picture.) You can call them and have music delivered to your door at (800)752-2656.

October 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home