Thursday, September 1, 2016

Trapping Season!

Today starts the first day of trapping season, and I spent the morning driving on the back roads of Washington County, looking for a redtail hawk to take home and train as this year's hunting partner. I was with my friend Miriam, who had her camera, and together we rode around in my pickup truck (back from the mechanic! passed inspection!) for a few hours. We saw so many kestrels, a young bald eagle, and one giant female red tail we tried to catch but it wasn't having it. So no luck in the first few hours of the trapping season but hopefully soon.

If you're wondering about falconry and what goes into it and trapping, I wrote this piece last fall for The Guardian about the sport and process. It should cover a lot of questions. This will be my 4th year as an apprentice and my third bird. I am very excited to go through the joy of manning, training, flying, and hunting beside a bird of prey all over again.

Wish us both luck, the bird and I, to find the partner we need!

7 Comments:

Blogger foxnight88 said...

What kind of prey have you captured with your birds?

September 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

88, great question! Around here it is all about the cottontails and squirrels. Some people I'm neighbors with hunt with goshawks who go after pheasants and ducks. Some people have kestrels that want nothing but starlings. It depends on the bird!

September 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Renee M. said...


Where is Anna Kendrick? (Your previous hawk -- I'm hoping I'm remembering her name correctly.)

September 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Falconers don't keep their birds, Italics (my first bird) was released. Anna was lost last season in March. This new bird will be a whole new adventure.

September 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh no! What happened to sweet ANNA? Did she just fly away? I did't know they did that!

September 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Falconer's birds fly away all the time.

September 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear that. I'll bet that left a hawk-sized hole in your heart.

September 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home