Monday, September 26, 2016

Pigageddon Thwarted!

I have been raising pigs here for half a decade now. I love it. I love the animals, their sturdyness, their look, sounds and even smells. Pigs only stink when kept in stinky conditions (or when the quantity is beyond capacity). But in general they are clean, mostly kind, respectable beasts I enjoy watching grow and play and be pigs.

 I started by keeping one or two in the barn and then expanded to an outdoor area with a shelter in the woods. Now piglets come in little sounders of four or five instead of a pair in the barn and I have grown pretty accustomed to their behaviors and lifestyle. But there is always an exception to the rule and this recent group has been driving me crazy. That picture is what use to be my lawn.

They are escape artists of the highest order. If you turned them over you might find little tattoos on their wrists connecting them to some KGB-style secret society of spies. These pigs have escaped every fence, electric netting, wire, and enclosure I have created until recently, and when they are loose do you know what they do? They dig.

That used to be my lawn by the barn. Now it's ready to plant pumpkins or corn. Their rooting was thorough and proper. And the five, 50-lb animals managed it in just 2 consecutive nights! Imagine if they had a week to their cloven schemes! It would look like my home was a construction site.

The good news is I have finally outsmarted them and they are up in the woods in a pen, safely behind a very effective electric fence reinforced with woven wire fencing behind it. I learned this clan needed the doubling down since just a few strands of electrical wire (all I ever needed in the woods with past piglets) was something they either jumped over or scooted under. But these guys are on lock down for good and haven't escaped once since this new protocol was enforced. I am heading out to check on them now, so hopefully there won't be an update here soon about how wrong I was...

My parents are coming to visit in a few weeks. My home and lawn is already not up to their standards but now that the backyard looks like heavy machinery had its way with it I can only imagine the fun conversations ahead.... But really, I don't care. I don't care if the area around the barn looks like a heavy horse plowed it up. It the grass doesn't come back I just scored a pumpkin patch in the spring, and can enjoy some really nice pulled pork while carving those jackolanterns next October!


Blogger Cathy Hoff said...

Atta girl! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Or,in your case, when life gives you rooting pigs, make a garden.

September 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Me From Maine said...

I love the final analysis: you'll be enjoying pulled *pork* with gourds grown in your rooted-up yard! Hopefully the new structure will hold them :)

September 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home