Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Hope Is Exhausting

I am exhausted from driving and hoping. Trapping season is just a bunch of making your way along lonely roads and looking for a very specific treasure - an immature redtail hawk. I have seen dozens but none of them are interested in my trap. The world is so warm and green and while the calendar says September, they still think it's summer. I think I need to cut back on my miles and make less days about hawk sightings and more about catching up on winter prep here. A load of firewood was delivered today, 2 more loads coming this week. It's my first of four cords to budget and stack. So while I may not have my new hunting buddy - I do have plenty of work ahead there to distract me.

The piglets ruined my lawn. It wasn't much to look at in the first place but it is amazing what those snouts can accomplish in one night. More on that later.


Blogger Kendra said...

Maybe those piglets didn't mess up your lawn......maybe they just tilled your garden for you!

September 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

You have (had?) a lawn?
Lawn = field in our books…

September 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Wipaddler said...

why were the piglets out of their enclosure? Surely if they are a meat share they should be better protected.

September 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I am wondering what happened to Italics? Did you release her?

September 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Wipaddler, I wonder how much livestock you've kept?
At our farm, our fences are designed to keep predators (coyotes, bears) out, not niece caring livestock (so far, just chickens) safe, not necessarily IN.
One of the things I've observed about farming, is the critters we care for, will spend 23 1/2 hours a day figuring out HOW to escape, and 1/2 hour executing their escape!


September 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Italics was released after 2 seasons of hunting.

September 9, 2016 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Wipaddler - like Kyler said, farm animals get out from time to time. Right now, across the world, livestock are where we prefer they were not. I'm just stupid enough to write about it.

September 9, 2016 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Wipaddler said...

Well let's see I have an 80a organic grass fed rotationally grazed beef herd, Pasteur raised chickens that follow the cows, and a couple pigs that follow the chickens. We are surrounded by marsh and woods and in 20 years have yet to have animals get out or be killed by predators. To go one step further in all of this time we have only had one animal die on this farm. I just wonder why there are so many excuses for sub par animal containment? Animals do spend most of their time trying to figure out how to escape. It is YOUR JOB as a farmer to make sure you have the infrastructure you need to keep your animals contained, fot their protection and the general public. After 6 years jenna goord think that maybe, just maybe you'd have some better fencing for your animals. You are the expert after all correct? I know this post will get deleted but oh well

September 9, 2016 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

i only block comments that come from usernames who I know are only on this site for recreational offense and dissapointment. It's a short list, but if the only comments you make over a period of time are in this tone - yeah I'll delete your comments because they come from a place of shaming.

Congrats on your near perfect record of farming! I am not you!

September 10, 2016 at 5:58 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Also, I am not an expert. I'm a public figure, writer, and blogger. But doing those things and writing about them on a website doesn't make me an expert. IF any place online calls me an expert - it wasn't me who said it.

September 10, 2016 at 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home