Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Harper & The Fiddle

This is Harper. She's a young Bernese Mountain Dog and possibly the sweetest canine lady I have ever met. I mean that. Because, all the females I have lived with of the canis variety were kind of snarky and hard-edged. Annie was a firecracker. Friday is her own one-woman show. But Harper was just interested in making people feel like the world was pleasant. We need more people like Harper in this world.

That look of adoration towards her owner's face is real. And when she wasn't watching her people learn the fiddle this past Sunday, she was trotting around the house with my border collies showing them how any sorority girl in a brand-new Patagonia jacket moves: confidently. This breed has got some moves, people.

Good dogs are welcome here. So are good people. Lauren and Chris came by for a half day fiddle crash course. They drove in their van from Michigan, just to come to Cold Antler and see the big show. I used to worry that people coming here would see a scrappy place and be disappointed (I don't worry about it anymore). But they didn't mind me sweeping up dog hair mid lesson while they practiced their first scale.  They didn't mind the sagging fences or the piglet that escaped and I had to send Gibson out to deal with either. They seemed to have a fine time and came to learn as a couple and left with a fiddle of their own. It's an honor to show people how to get started with that instrument. If you want to come and learn, just email me. Bring your dog too if she's kind.

Besides fiddle lessons - I have been very distracted by hawk trapping all of September. Trapping season for falconers opens Sept 1st. As of that morning any licensed falconer (of any level of experience) can begin trolling the back roads and lonely farmlands of their home state at dawn. They are looking up. Hungry people watching the power lines as they sip their coffee without ever looking down at it. Trapping sounds violent but it's not. I explain it in more detail here in this Guardian Article I wrote last fall, if you are interested in the details. To summarize - it's obsessive and wonderful.

I have spent hours a day outside watching for the bird that will become my roommate. That's a strange sentence to write in a non-fiction situation. (Writing sentences about my real life that seem like fiction is kind of my life goal.) 

Soon I hope to have more fiddle students and a hawk. I hope to meet more dogs like Harper that make me want to turn into a crazy dog lady and get more puppies. (I won't, don't worry) But I still look forward to the future fiddlers and pups that may travel from far and wide to meet the lady with a jones for a raptor and the intense desire to teach you the D scale on the violin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Glad you posted again. Misses you; hope all is well.

September 22, 2016 at 1:25 AM  
Blogger Christina S said...

I currently have 7 dogs!! They are all larger breeds, with the largest at 112 lbs. the expense of them does not quite fit in with my early retirement plan, but they are great predator control, and they all have finally been trained to co exist with chickens!!

September 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Cathy Miller said...

Jenna, I only read three blogs due to time VS obligations. Yours is #1. I have commented a few times,hopefully encouraging you to continue your journey. I met you briefly a few years ago in Cambridge at Battenkill Bookstore. I enjoy your life. With all the joy and hardships any human life has. I hope to visit some time next year. I'll keep in touch. OH I almost forgot...I'm retiring NEXT MONTH. YAHOOO Onto the next adaventure!

September 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home