Sunday, August 14, 2016

Team Love & Selling Sheep

I was driving in town and pulled up to our one stoplight. Stopped across me was another classic Ford truck. It was a few years earlier than my own, maybe an 84? And it was a glorious brown that to most people looks like the worst parts of a seventies roller rink, but to those of us who love these trucks reminisces more along the lines of a favorite, well-oiled, baseball mitt. Point being: It was great. It had 100% better typography, an outline of FORD in white on the back bumper and I wanted to trace it with my finger. I loved this man’s truck the way I love my own. The way a dog lover of a certain breed can’t help but admire a healthy animal of the same type when it crosses their path, and nod to the owner in appreciation and fellowship. Which is exactly what happened next.

When we pulled past each other (he was in his twenties, I’m guessing?) we did what everyone does with a beloved, older, truck does around here. We nod, wave, or smile. There’s an unofficial club here in Washington County, and while we don’t have a name or regular meetings - we know our own when we meet. It was another rural person who opted out of the payments, GPS navigation screens, buttons, possibly working AC and heat, and enforced emission laws. We choose to ride in an older truck and keep it going. We have our titles. We have our mechanics numbers memorized and send them thank you cards. We have learned the sounds and sways of our rigs the way cowboys know their horses gaits. We love our trucks. We know our own. I beamed at that man.

Also! I am selling a starter flock! Looking to cut back on the flock going into winter. I have 2 four-year-old wool ewes a Merino/Romney cross and a full blood Romney) and they come with an older wool sheep (Cotswold/Border Leicester cross) whether. A great starter flock, and if you want to wait for them (the ewes) to be bred before you pick them up that is okay too (ram is a Scottish Blackface). Please let me know if you are interested. They can keep your lawn mowed, lamb in the spring, baa at you, give your sheepdog a workout, grow sweaters, etc. Looking for $150 a ewe and $100 for the whether. or $350 for all three. 


Blogger Tiffany said...

I was just thinking about this very same thing on my drive home last night (about the love of a certain vehicle). My very first vehicle, that I purchased on my own (without a co-signer) was not a classic by any means, but was a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4 SUV. It was 2 years old when I bought it and it was love at first drive! I knew every sound it made, every sway. I could feel when the 4WD was or wasn't working. I drove down old rutted camp roads, all across Maine, had a kayak strapped to her all summer with my life jacket and paddle in the back. I camped out in the back of it with the windows open and the summer air pouring in. I even parked it up a snow banking one day because there were no more parking spaces left at work. She was a beast in all the best senses! There's not much I regret in life, but trading her in is one of them. If I'd been smart, I would have ponied up the money to have her fully fixed...but you live and learn. I have yet to find another vehicle that even remotely feels like that Montero, that gives me the same sense of joy that I got driving her. I will continue to my search and pray that Mitsubishi releases the Pejero Sport in the US within the next few years.

August 16, 2016 at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home