Friday, August 5, 2016

Sweet Music, Little Songs

A package came in the mail last week and I was delighted at what was inside! The folks at Native Ground sent along this book and instrument. I'm a dabbler and lover of acoustic strings, but I have never even held a ukulele before. I'm not worried though, because it was Wayne Erbsen's books that taught me the fiddle and clawhammer banjo and they were fun, easy, and the farthest thing from intimidating. I'm excited to learn this little guy with his method as well!

I’ll be learning the strings, strums, and stories about this simple but lovely beast and hopefully inspire some of you to take up an instrument you love along the way. Music should be a part of any life that wants to make it. It isn't hard, expensive, nor does it require hours and hours a day of practice. The fiddle, guitar, banjo, and uke just take a little love and care every day. The time you spend watching commercials is enough time to learn tunes on any of those guys if you so wished.

I am looking forward to learning. I love the toughness and portability of the uke. It literally fits in Merlin's saddle bag, and the price point for even the nicest ukulele is meager compared to fiddles and banjos. (I think this book and instrument together is around fifty dollars.) This adventure in a new instrument should be a relaxing and joy-filled way to spend some downtime on the farm.


Blogger the fortress said...

Enjoy! I just picked up a ukulele for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. It's finally getting me started on strings. I've tried guitar and mandolin before and never stuck with it. A uke is the answer. :)

August 5, 2016 at 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home