Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Farm Cats

Bree and Bo are the farm cats here, and they live the life most cats dream of. The house and farm is theirs to roam. They spend most of the summer outdoors, and hunt most of their meals. Having these guys on patrol has kept this farmhouse rodent free for the past two years. Bree seems to focus on the kinds of things I don't want around - mice, rats, moles, voles. But Bo is a monster and seems to prefer birds, rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels these days. I remain a fervent dog person, but appreciate the fine work these two do and as much as I try to come across as someone who isn't into cats - I spent a good hour last night making sure they were both inside and safe before the storm came.

7 Comments:

Blogger Loretta said...

I once had a cat that caught mice, bluebirds (we had a 'discussion' about that...the bluebird survived, a bat (saved it), the neighbors baby duck (oops), snakes, and once tried to catch an owl that was trying to catch it...they are interesting creatures.

August 2, 2016 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Debby Flowers said...

Chipmunks? At our place they are a problem when they move into the barn because they are after the grain. It takes a few days, then Roye, Lily, or Spot will catch it. The thing is, chipmunks must taste really vile, because they don't eat them, not even the tasty bits. Whoever it is (Roye, I suspect) leaves the munk displayed for me to see - always at the foot of my milking stand where I cannot miss it.

August 3, 2016 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger Debby Flowers said...

Chipmunks? They are a problem at our place when they move into the shop. It takes a few times but one of the cats will get them. Thing is, they must taste really vile because they never eat them, not even the tasty bits. They leave them displayed for me at the foot of my milking stand - nice.

August 3, 2016 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

You had a storm last night? We had a storm last night...and it was a doozie! Hailstones the size of my fingernail. Needless to say, the squash and tomatoes did not fare well...

August 3, 2016 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger RDW said...

Cats - including the ferals - pay their rent on a farm just as much as any other work animal. They are intelligent, fierce, and self-sufficient. Even my blind cat prefers to catch his own breakfast each morning. I'm not ashamed to admit that I know if they had thumbs, I would meet with an unfortunate accident - and I respect them for that.

August 3, 2016 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

If house cats weighed 200 lbs we would all be dead

August 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger RDW said...

At 200 lbs, only half of us would be cat food. Without thumbs, they would still need some of us around to operate the laser pointers on boring winter nights. ;-)

August 3, 2016 at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home