Friday, July 22, 2016

My Girl Friday

Last night I was standing in a dark road outside my house. It was around 11PM and without street lights, everything was black. My flashlight battery was dying, and all I had was some flickering light and the occasional burst of a firefly by the stream. In the distance I could hear the sound of a ewe somewhere in the woods, outside the fence and away from the rest of the flock. The ewe was panicked and I wasn't sure where she was. Gibson and Friday were beside me, waiting for my decision. Or rather, Gibson was waiting for my decision - Friday was beside us in the ditch with the stream trying to eat a firefly every time it lit up. She played while he nearly shook with anticipation. I told him to get the sheep and his black form teleported head into the darkness.

Friday saw Gibson leave and perked up, no longer interested in luminescent snacks. She dropped her tail and slunk into that Border Collie crouch. She doesn't really know what to do with sheep yet but she knows the import, and wanted to know where the Hell Gibson had ran off to. I watched her best I could in the flicker of the small torch.

A few moments later the ewe and her lambs came scampering down the road, Gibson behind them. Friday flanked them and helped keep them from taking off to the left or right. I smiled to see it. She is just a year old and mostly wants to be a pup, but she's learning the ropes as a farm dog by and by. Gibson and I had months of classes with respected sheepdog trainers, but Friday came into my life when all was a whirlwind and money was tight as could be. There were no three-hour round trips to farms for classes, at least not yet. That doesn't mean her instincts are shining through. I'm proud of the dog she is becoming.

I named her after my favorite movie, His Girl Friday, which stars the amazing Rosalind Russell as Hildy. Rosalind is a force to be reckoned with in all of her films, but something about her rapid-fire banter, the timeless comedy, and her spark stuck with me. I never get tired of that film. And as I watch my girl grow up I am seeing how much she has turned into quick the firecracker herself. She's a lot klutzier than Gibson, and alot more foolish - but she's got a bravery he's never had. Friday will run right up to a 200lb ram and bark in his face. If he lowers his head at her, she dodges and ducks. In the same scenario Gibson would back up and try to circle farther out. Gibson has the literal balls in this couple, but she's got all the brass when it comes to putting her paw down. Which is some what comical at her 38lb size.

But small girls can be mighty.

Photo by Miriam Romais (I cropped it)

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Deming said...

So where was the hand-cranked flashlight touted a couple of years ago?

July 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah Deming said...

So where was the hand-cranked flashlight touted a couple of years ago?

July 22, 2016 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Kelsey Ward said...

Can I just say I find you to be a very inspiring person? :)

July 22, 2016 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks Kelsey!

July 22, 2016 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger tara brave wolf said...

Brave one in dark dying

July 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger tara brave wolf said...

I meant a dying flashlight in the dark a great comfort that your two dogs with you. You see the magic of simple life I love it.

July 22, 2016 at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home