Friday, July 29, 2016


If you visit this house, expect to see books. They are everywhere. I have more books than I know what to do with, and sadly, very few bookshelves. It's the one thing I won't get ride of. I just took five garbage bags of clothes to the donation center, but the idea of getting rid of a book is sacrilege.

So I hold on. Books are all over the house, in little sessions and clubs. They don't hang out with just other books either. They are stationed with DVDs and trinkets, novels beside comics, and cookbooks beside antiques. They are in the kitchen, windowsills, cupboards and cabinets. They are in the bathroom, fridge (yes, fridge), bedroom, and closets. They are in my truck, my barn, and on top of the dog crate. I get them as gifts, pick them  up at yard sales and library events, bookstores and online. I love them.  And as much as I love the digital world and the convenience of ereaders and a library in my pocket - I still get a little rush every time a hardcover is in my hands.

I recently got the 4th Installment of the Kunstler World Made by Hand series and I take it to the Battenkill river to read before I swim. I get to read a piece of fiction, and read a scene out of it that takes place in that very same river, and then jump into the water and cool off. It feels magical. And I leave it on the bank as I take off for a half mile or so down the river. If someone steals it, I don't care very much. I hope they enjoy it and I am only out fifteen dollars. I am not losing my digital library downloaded over years or credit card security like a swiped kindle. Each book is it's own little portkey to its own world. If you believe in books, you believe in magic.


Blogger Maria said...

Yes, yes, to books!!! A book has to be truly really atrociously terrible for me to donate it. As you say, far easier to cull several bags of clothes than to get rid of a single book.
Oh and also - THANK YOU! I didn't realise the 4th World Made By Hand book was out. Oh wow, does that make me happy. It was you who put me on to them in the first place and I love them.

Have a good day Jenna - a read by the river followed by a swim sounds like bliss.

July 29, 2016 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Maria! It JUST came out, because he's local there were events and friends talking about it, so I just got tipped off myself! My mountain is in the book, too! I really enjoy them on audiobook as well, specially Witch of Hebron.

July 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger jules said...

We are moving and I guess I didn't really realize how many books we have. So far I've packed up probably 25 liquor boxes of books and still have 5 or six to go, because I keep finding them in odd places. I have a give away pile, but it is books I got from a dear friend that just don't appeal to me. So, I have a give away shelf and anyone is welcome to take what interests them. I don't have a kindle or read anything but a real paper book. I love books!

July 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I stopped reading this post as soon as I saw that the 4th WMBH book was out, and went to request it online from my library, then came back to finish reading your post. I found out about the series from your vlog about book recommendations, and now I'm hooked. Thank you!

July 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I like to leave books behind when I'm finished. Hotel rooms, waiting rooms, even a nursing home library where I was visiting. We even have book trees in my area. Wasn't sure if they were working too well until I drove by the other day. There was an adult perusing a book from a higher cubby and a young boy flipping the pages from a lower, with another book tucked under his arm. I'm going to haul some into the town next time I go.

July 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I read about then bought World Made By Hand, probably after learning of it here, but I did not know there was more! That's good to know. I love a good story.

July 29, 2016 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I enjoy reading a lot and am regularly working through 6-8 books simultaneously. However, I use my library card like it's spun from gold. It's free. I'm a bit surprised that with the financial woes you've written about regularly that you buy books - especially 'recently' - as opposed to using free resources. $15 bucks is a lot when you are taking creamer from the gas station and don't have hot water.

July 29, 2016 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger E said...

I leave books behind, too - with a note to take them if they will be read, so no one has to feel guilty or worry about returning them.

July 29, 2016 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I like this idea of leaving or giving books? Any summer read suggestions? You guys know me!

July 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Cynthia, I mentioned buying a book yes. I did not mean to imply $15 wasn't useful or important, but that it isn't a tragedy if it is stolen like an expensive e-reader.

I think that post about hot water and creamer from the gas station is from 2 summers ago?!

Now imagine if everything you wrote about was judged and commented on in such detail?

Thanks for the anonymous profile, big ups on your brave stance.

July 29, 2016 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Judgemental comments and emails used to really bother me. Now its either hilarious or pathetic to read.

I cant imagine being such a specific pedant, focusing on someone's life I disapprove of more than I focus on improving my own?

July 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Per the three comments I refuse to publish here because I don't have low self esteem:

Critical comments are welcome. Questions are welcome. But you see those posts up there by Karen and Lauren? See how they are real people with their names posted, photos of themselves, links back to actual email addresses and blogs? If you want to hassle me you best be 100% open with who you are. You don't get to make up a blank blogger profile and sling shit at someone who has made their life public for nearly a decade.

Also, even if you do all that and are just being a dick - I won't publish it! Because I respect myself too much, and the work I have done to get to this point. I won't publish it for the same reason I won't let strangers walk into my house holding their drivers' license up yell at me in my living room. This is my house. Either be a respectful and public human being or fuck off. What's your damage?!

This blog is free. Visiting it is your choice. If you come here for recreational offense, that is messed up. Because if making yourself voluntarily miserable is your idea of entertainment - it's time to make that call to a therapist and see what's going on with your own life that has turned you into a troll.

July 29, 2016 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger John D. Wheeler said...

That is sad... that there are very few bookshelves. My dream home would have entire walls made of glassed-in bookshelves. Hey, paper is pretty good insulation, right? But the rest of it sounds pretty darn good.

And definitely ignore the haters. Ever notice how in rich people's homes (you know, Old Money, not some youngster who sold a million records), they always have libraries? Do you really think they became rich first, and then got some books? Okay, sure, for the ones born into it, but knowledge is power and as such is very valuable. The two things I think it's a big mistake to skimp on is nutrients for your body and new ideas for your mind.

July 29, 2016 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, Enjoy your reads!

July 29, 2016 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Good for you Jenna, time to kick the trolls and haters back where they the gutter or under bridges. That being said, onto more important things: Books. Yep, love them all over the place!

July 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm curious about the books in the refrigerator. Doesn't that damage them? -and why in the fridge?

July 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Michelle! Excellent question! I think (but not sure) there was an episode of Friends when Joey put a scary book in the freezer? Some one did that and it always stuck with me, so when I am reading a thriller and I put it down I set it in the fridge. When I'm done with it - it goes back on the shelf or somewhere else. Homage to the 90s? Habit? They don't stay there long, but it feels like the scary characters can't get me or give me nightmares if they are cold!

July 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

Kvothe!!!! My favourite character from Name of the Wind and Man's Patrick Rothfuss...I re-read those books often. Do you know when the 3rd (final) book is coming out? (& thanks for recommending him/them)

July 30, 2016 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

The doors of stone - day 3 in the Kingkiller chronicles (Kvothe and co) is supposed to come out in 2017/17 but no one is pushing Patrick to rush it.

side note: follow patrick on twitter.

July 30, 2016 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

also, a book called The Slow Regard of Silent Things came out last year and it is all about Auri

July 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Robin-Taine Brownell said...

My Mom left me a meme on my FB yesterday that says "A well read woman is a dangerous creature". I see we are kindred spirits, Jenna!! I too have books everywhere. My bookshelves are overflowing (and I donated about 5 huge boxes when we moved last year). But I wouldn't have it any other way!

July 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger dagnygromer said...

OT I thought you'd like this: Lamborghini hauling goats

July 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Bill C said...

LOVE that you included what is basically my bible in this picture. If I had to get rid of all my books but one (which is making me anxious to even think about) I would pick the River Cottage Meat book without a moment's thought. Hands down the best text on well-raised meat.

July 30, 2016 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

I was curious about the books in the fridge too - freezing the scary characters, that is awesome. I need to do that with a couple books my kids are a bit frightened of!

July 31, 2016 at 1:27 AM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Great to see your books back near the top of your right hand blog column, Jenna.
MEAT is also on our bookshelves too!


July 31, 2016 at 1:53 AM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

Cinder blocks and boards were our first bookshelves… Worked great! And are rock solid! Hope this helps; not meaning to be critical: just an idea.

July 31, 2016 at 1:57 AM  
Blogger traininggurl said...

Yes! On Friends, Joey puts The Shining in the freezer when he gets scared. lol.

July 31, 2016 at 2:41 AM  
Blogger Welsh Harlequin said...

Do you have any books on rabbits and/ or ducks and are you going to write one!?! We would buy it.

July 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger PansWife said...

As someone with visual problems, I love my Kindle and its readable screen. I love that I can use it to borrow books from my public library. I don't like it that I can't give ebooks away. I still appreciate a beautiful book, but last year I read " The Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo and I have to say it made me look at my stuff in a new way. It inspired me to give away a lot of books, so many books that I eliminated four big bookcases. Some of those books I hadn't looked at in 20 or more years. One had a receipt from 1989 holding the place where I stopped reading. Now someone else will enjoy them as I donated them to a library fair and I am down to three bookcases. I'm much happier with less to dust in general. I know downsizing is not for everyone, but for me it was very freeing.

July 31, 2016 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

Oh, I just noticed you asked for summer reading suggestions. Check out Kresley Cole's "Immortals After Dark" - sexy vampires and Scottish werewolves. "Hunger Like No Other" is the first in the series and it helps to read at least the first three in order.

July 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is too funny! I love Friends, but didn't get "into" them until it was nearly the end, so I'm mostly familiar with reruns. Someday I will own the boxed set and watch every episode in order. 😊

July 31, 2016 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

There is no way I would get rid of my favorite 'how-to' or 'reference' books on all things farming, gardening, cooking, building, homesteading, etc. But I rarely read a book of fiction more than once, so there is no need to keep them other that the fact that I just like books and want to keep them. But this post got me thinking, and one reader commented that she 'leaves' a book here and there from time to time. So in honor of all of us that just love a good book, I set up a book exchange in our Farm Store; take a book, leave a book! Excited to see how it goes.

August 3, 2016 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home