Thursday, July 21, 2016

A Thursday

It was magic hour, that time before dusk when sunlight seems the warmest and the world gets saturated like an Instagram filter. I was doing my best impersonation of Baloo the bear. I was on my back, floating down the river without another human being in sight. It was the end of a long day. A day that started with a seven-mile run and (just an hour before my bear impression) was spent on the back of a horse on the top of a mountain. in-between those heroic events I did what most professional do all day - sat in front of a computer working. But at that moment the world was just that river, tired light, and cold water. Heaven.

Brown trout jumped out of the water to my left and I took a mental note, maybe in the morning I’d come back with my fly rod? Maybe. I smiled, knowing that in the morning all I would do is run, stretch, and then see to the animals. By the time the piglets were fed, goats milked, sheep watered and horse hayed I wouldn’t want to go fishing. I’d want this: the river. And not to fish for brownies, but to do absolutely nothing in. The calm current swept me downstream, under the dappled light of Sycamores and songs of cedar waxwings. My salad didn’t need trout in it tomorrow night.

I floated around a bend, and the river picked up her pace. I know this 1/4 stretch so well, every rock and deep pool. So I didn’t think twice about letting it scoop me away and push me out into a swimming hole near a gravel beach. This was a very crowded swimming spot on the weekends, but those of us luck enough to dip in on the weekdays, it was empty. Or nearly so. Because as I was swimming towards the beach (to walk back to my book and towel up river), the most beautiful thing started down the path. Two girls were on the back of their horses, an Appaloosa and a Chestnut mare. They had on tank tops and shorts and their companions (two teenage boys) rode alongside them on their mountain bikes. The boys ditched their bikes and hung around the beach, but the girls lead their horses right into the river - to the shallow areas that dipped into pools so the horses could swim and splash.

I felt lucky as hell. Here I was floating and splashing, my companions teenagers on summer break. I loved their pluck. I loved the bravado of the boys and the fearlessness of the girls - who of course had no helmets and simple tack. They just wanted to ride their horses to the river, because everyone was hot and they could.

I walked out of the water dripping wet and grinning like an idiot. How the hell did I end up here? How did I collect the loose change of luck and scraps of fate to end up in a corner of the world where children ride horses into sunset rivers? A place where I had tended a farm, cantered a draft horse up a mountainside, and ate better than the fanciest restaurant fare in New York City. I mean, when you milk your own goats the cheese is really fresh. When you grow your own bacon and tomatoes - no amount of Michelin stars can beat those BLTS on homemade bread. And to savor that with river-soaked rain, on a piece of land you somehow managed to keep? It’s witchcraft.

Things are far from safe here.

Things are perfect here.


Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! You're up to 7 miles! How long did that take?

July 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Takes me a while, I don't run fast. But 7 miles is a medium distance run for me these days. A short run is a 5k, and my usual longer run is 10-12 miles.

July 21, 2016 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Love this!

July 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger sarah e blog said...

That sounds like a vacation spot to most! I can't complain tho. I wake up to hens and four legged critters with bird song and garden abundance in the front yard....not lucrative by any means but I get to eat healthy and teach my kids how to live with nature. I loved this post Jenna it was a good reminder to enjoy what we have rather than what we don't😉

July 22, 2016 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

What a glorious read. Truly beautiful.

July 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger feathers217 said...

You just took me on a short brief little journey , a bit back in time to days of playing in the creek on my Grandparents farm. You dear young lady are such an inspiration ! You have grown into such a strong woman (actually have always thought you were wonder woman since the start of your blog). Believing in yourself is by far one of the hardest things to accomplish I feel..... you have crossed that path and kicked it's ass with a muck boot !

July 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home