Friday, May 20, 2016

A String of Three

So Monday night I spilled a 1/3 of a cup of seltzer water on my laptop. It shut down and it didn't start back up. It was a real bummer and what followed was driving down to Albany with a friend to pass off the dead macbook to a repair guy. He still has it, and on it are all my design and illustration programs, photos, and recent work files. I am writing you from the 2010 desktop in my living room I mostly just use for watching movies and TV shows through streaming services. It doesn't have any design programs on it. If he gets it to restart it's a $300 fee. Yikes.

So clients are waiting. I am waiting. Bills are waiting. Stress is high. Nothing new around here, to have that panting lurch of being in a tight spot. I'll figure it out.

But wait, it gets better! On that same trip to Albany a filling cracked in half. Boy Howdy, did that hurt. I was sitting by a fountain outside a Ten Thousand Villages store and eating a piece of beef jerky (Like the lady) and BAM! I contacted my dentist.  It will be repaired in June, but till then I am on a pretty lame soft-foods diet.

They say bad things come in threes. It's true. Tonight, my truck stopped working. It won't start. It has to do with the starter and I don't think it is an expensive repair, but it means limited mobility. If it doesn't start tomorrow the guys at Bains will come with a tow truck and see to her, but who knows what that will cost. I hope not a lot.

So tonight I am going to eat some yogurt at home and work on illustrations like a champ. Those pencil and water color commissions are few and far between, but they do add some income and they don't need to be scanned. I can take a snapshot and work at my desk while binge watching You're The Worst for the third time. Which is a show I adore, so so so much.


Blogger Sparkless said...

Note to future self "don't eat or drink anything near your computer", also "if you can't afford the dentist don't eat hard or really chewy foods that stick to your teeth" and "remember Murphy's Law that if anything can go wrong it will." Please don't ask me how I know these things cause lets just say you aren't the only one it's happened to.
I hope you get the computer back soon all fixed. Nope, I'll hope one further than that I hope you get a windfall soon and all your money woes are a thing of the past for awhile. You need some good luck fast!

May 21, 2016 at 12:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Jenna, to all of us. I currently have 2 of your same problems, a car that needs repair and a laptop that is really acting up. It is a bummer. I feel for you, on a tight budget and things are happening! Thanks for sharing the true life of a farmer.

May 21, 2016 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger Melissa K said...

Hugs, and during such a stressful time keep doing things that help, like watching comfort things that are comforting and eating what you can, that comforts. Remember, it comes, and then it goes. Hugs..

May 21, 2016 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks guys, the truck didn't start this AM so I am calling the mechanic to come tow it. Still waiting to hear on the laptop. Tooth is okay long as I eat soft things. As far as tragic events go this doesn't even tip the needle, but it is a setback and adds to the rumble of the panic volcano.

May 21, 2016 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Sparkless, you are right about fast luck!

May 21, 2016 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Morgan Shafer said...

I'm so sorry you're going through these difficulties, Jenna (even though they'll probably put hair on your chest, LOL). I wish I were in a position to help at the moment, but I just wanted to say how much I love your blog. You write so well and with such humor and spirit, and you make me feel like I'm home (I'm originally from New York). I think you're amazingly brave for following your dreams, and I hope things take a turn for the better soon!

May 21, 2016 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Maybe a dental first aid kit would help. I keep one, fortunately haven't used it ..... uh yet. They're like $5 ...might help with some of the misery. Or just eat ice cream! :)

My last dental whoops. I was returning from the UP and was working on a box of Milk Duds. Now, my dentist warned me about Milk Duds, but I try to be careful and not chew them unless they are soft. Last one in the box and I apparently forgot the soften part.

Crrrrich! I pulled a $600 crown out attached to the Milk Dud. While it shortens the life span of the crown, they were able to reattach it for $50. I just looked at the dentist when he walked in and said, "you told me so". Eh.

I will never, ever, never eat another Milk Dud as long as I live.

And I certainly understand that you are not plush in the cash department... but something on your list might be a back up computer, laptop whatever. Your livelihood depends on your access to a computer and those programs.

May 21, 2016 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home