Monday, March 21, 2016

Coming Soon: Intact

I got the drawing bug again after years of not creating much on paper. I posted that sketch of Friday on Facebook and someone offered to buy it for fifty bucks and another suggested a comic. I'm making one in this sketchy style called Intact, a web comic about Gibson and Friday on the farm. Expect it to be crass, honest, farmy, and fun.

P.S. Folks have mentioned here and on Facebook that my style looks like Disney or Dreamworks or Shrek or Balto or etc. That's because I draw in the American Animation Style, as opposed to Anime or comic book or other styles. I grew up pausing and drawing Disney movies like the Lion King and 101 Dalmations as a kid.

P.P.S. This image and the image of Friday are both up for silent auction on Facebook.


Blogger Snarled Yarns said...

Ok, that is so..cute! Reminds me of my kid when she wants something and is being annoying about it! "Pleeeease?" "No." (Repeat)

March 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Imagine you will fly... said...

Jenna, can you monetize a web comic? ... that's may be a stupid question from somebody 'behind the moon', but
am just worried how that gets paid...

March 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Plenty of people make a living on webcomics! Also, do you intend to eventually breed your pups? Just thinking about it from the title of course lol.

March 21, 2016 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

What a great idea!!!

March 22, 2016 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Juliet Carol said...

Love the drawings! Looking at the drawings, I couldn't help but think about "children's books"...a series about cold antler farm for children. I'd buy them :) Wishing you success.

March 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I am not sure about monetizing the comic? I can look into it. I'm just stressed out and drawing and joking around makes me feel better so I thought I'd post them here. If anyone wants to buy any of the drawings, I would sell them.

March 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I don't have any interest in doing children's books at all, these comics will have adult content. Not at all for little kids.

Gibson and Friday are both intact, ergo the name. But no plans to breed them. When Friday is in heat she is on lockdown. Her and Gibson are separated 24/7

March 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Meems Seams said...

Hi there! I requested to be part of your facebook group a bit ago and was wondering if i might be included? We have just been able to purchase a bit of acreage and beginning to expand our homesteading from gardening a few raised beds to now having a large garden plot and the possibility of livestock! Always look forward to your updates and supporting you when possible. We belong to a christian health share group and each month send monetary support to other members for their health care needs as well as a note of encouragement...your note cards i purchased last year have been a welcome dose of beauty and encouragement.

March 22, 2016 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

very Disney-esque

March 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Love the idea of the comic! I'm worried about your decision not to spay Friday, though-it's especially risky if you're not planning to breed her, because border collies are particularly susceptible to pyometra. If money is the issue, I can give you links to web sites that provide coupons to get the spaying done cheaply. More to the point, if you have two intact dogs, you're going to slip up one day and have an accidental breeding: it happens to everyone, because it's impossible to be vigilant all the time. And if and when that time comes, you'll have a litter of pups to sell from two dogs not proven to be real workers, which is a problem. (Shuffling a few pet ewes around is not the sort of work that can really test breeding stock.) Or are you just planning to wait to spay Friday until she's a little older? I'm not a PETA nut who thinks bitches should be spayed really early, and I don't necessarily think that male dogs (even pet male dogs) need to be neutered at all. But keeping two intact dogs when you're not set up to breed working border collies (and to assess your breeding animals appropriately)--yeah, that's a problem for me. It's a risk to Friday, and it's potentially harmful to the breed as a whole if an accidental breeding ever occurs.

March 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I have no intention of breeding my dogs, but I also do not owe you an explanation nor do I require your permission if I wanted to.

March 22, 2016 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

I'm a zealous guardian of the working border collie, and I'm going to speak up each and every time I see the potential for the weakening of the gene pool. That sometimes makes me unpopular, but I think the stakes are high enough to risk alienating people that I otherwise respect. I love these dogs. It's a lonely life, but somebody has to do it!

March 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I get that, but I already explained that breeding is not the plan or intention, and you could have easily emailed me privately to share your thoughts instead of posting on the blog to shame me.

March 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

I could have done that, but (a) that would have been less convenient, since here I already am, and (b) it would have been less educational for the world at large. My intention isn't to "shame" you, but it IS to make you rethink a potentially dangerous situation. Accidental breedings with intact animals are pretty much inevitable. No, the world and the working border collie breed won't come to an end if that happens to you, but it won't be a good thing. If breeding isn't your plan or intention, what's the down side to spaying Friday? If it's just money, I'd be happy to help. You can get Friday spayed for $150 with a spay/neuter coupon. If it's not money, I'm curious what your reasoning is. As I said, I'm not a nut about spay/neuter, but in some cases--yours is one--it just makes sense.

March 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

I've been thinking about this a little more. On the surface, your reaction is reasonable--you have every right to do what you want within the confines of the law, with the expectation that it's nobody's damn business but your own. But writers who publish have to give that stance up a bit; it's part of the job (I write, and I know that it's how it goes.) I'm a big believer in civilized discourse--the loss of that might be the saddest thing about the Trump political fiasco. Civilized discourse means that when you publish something, you own it--it's yours to defend, or to fail to defend. Refusing to talk about it at all, however, isn't what writers should be doing. When you throw a claim out into the world, it's completely fair for someone (me) to challenge what you've written, to ask you to clarify and defend your position. You can do whatever you want to do in this world, as long as you're willing to accept the potential consequences of your actions. You're willing to accept the potential consequence of pyo (which is no joke--I've gone through it. Your dog can die, and the spaying would need to be done in emergency circumstances) and/or an unplanned litter. Okay--own it! Tell me why you're accepting that! And when you're done telling me, I'll either tell you that I get it or that I don't. Either way, there should be nothing personal about it, with no hard feelings on either side. (I'd buy you a drink, if I drank and I lived near you.) Civilized discourse. It's a beautiful thing!

March 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Heather, I have zero plans on breeding my dogs. Case closed. Stop bothering me.

March 22, 2016 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

That's a very anti-intellectual reaction, especially since much of what I'm saying is about pyometra, not breeding. I have to say, I'm disappointed. I thought you were a person who lived by her words and who wanted the very best for her animals. I'm sorry that you're unwilling to consider what I'm saying. But yes, since you're not, I'll certainly "stop bothering you." Good luck with the web comic--it seems as though people are excited about that.

March 22, 2016 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Heather, you are asking for a discussion about my dog's sex life based on a post about a web comic. I said twice i don't plan on breeding my dogs. You keep asking. If you posted a recipe for cake online, and the ingredients included butter - and I kept posting about how many calories were in butter, and I don't see posts about you running or woking out, and you could die from heart disease or diabetes and then all the dogs in your care might fall over and die from neglect - would you discuss that in a post about a cake recipe?! No. Because it is none of my damn business what you eat. Even if physical fitness of farmers is my personal agenda. It's not my place to say. So let them eat cake.

March 22, 2016 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Ok, wow. That's such an illogical and poor analogy that I'm just going to leave it alone--its shortcomings are obvious to anyone bothering to read this thread. But I have no interest in your dog's "sex life"; I don't consider dogs to have sex lives. Very well; I think we've reached the point where nothing more productive can be said, so let's leave it alone. Peace out!

March 22, 2016 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Heather, you have a long history on this blog of being highly critical. Your comments are always published. But I have every right to be annoyed or offended and reply. Right now things are very, very, volatile. Stress has never been higher. This place is barely holding it together.

I got frustrated not by this thread alone but by years of comments like this. I am not a politician running for office. I'm a woman who writes about her farm. And of course you are interested in their sex life - that's what this whole comment thread was about! Accidental breeding! The lack of reputation any puppies from this farm would have and their littler worth to you as a sheep dog handler. It was highly insulting to me, and I don't even plan on breeding them. Which I stated several times.

My cake analogy is exactly how I felt reading your comments. Why is she asking me this? Why is she persisting to ask me this? Why is she doing so publicly? To make a point? To use me as an example? What did I do to her?

March 23, 2016 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Ya know, I've got lots of opinions about a lot of things. The older I get the more I realize that just cause I have them doesn't mean I have to share them. Treat people right, and with integrity, and everyone is better off.

March 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Since it seems as though my intentions and my points have been misconstrued, I apologize for posting them. it was not my intention to upset anyone; it was my intention to make you rethink. But since that clearly didn't work, it obviously wasn't the right thing to do. I'm sorry. Let's all move on.

March 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home