Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Adapting, Always Adapting.

Creating art, my art, again for the first time in years has been wonderful. Last night to relax and unwind after a hard day, I drew this braided, kilted, border collie. But after he was sketched I didn't want to stop. I inked, painted, and penciled over him. Today I hope to sell this orginal artwork. The nest image is a sketch of a reader's horses, after that, a pile of comps for a motorcycle education group up here.

All of this is art to me. All these little pieces of work are what make up the mortgage, the feed bills, literally stop the power company from coming and placing notices on my doorknob.

I used to make a living from just writing. Books, freelance articles, and future book deals. I will always write but as publishing dips away from small memoir and ag books I am adapting. I'm using the skills I have as an artist to create many small projects.

This morning I woke up, made coffee, and fed my farm. Then I came inside and worked on digital and traditional art. Four different clients and a fed farm before 9AM is a damn good feeling. Wish me luck in logo and art sales! And if anyone you know is looking for a unique gift or branding work, please share my name!

Commission Prices for Art:

Sketch (pencil) $50
Cleaned and Inked $75
Full Color: $150

Logos: $250

15 Comments:

Blogger Mel Baker said...

Jenna - your spirit and strength never cease to amaze me.

March 29, 2016 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Amazing artwork from a beautiful lady with multiple talents. Jenna, You are such an inspiration!

March 29, 2016 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger I refuse to take medication to work here said...

Thank you Jenna for sharing your work with us. Hugs from someone that still loves the books that you write.....

March 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff Thomas said...

Can you please share some more details, here or elsewhere, about what you'd be looking for/open to in possible art commissions? Some folks (yours truly included) do better when artists provide a bit of upfront structure, even if it's hedged with a "or talk to me and we'll see if we can figure it out" caveat.

March 29, 2016 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Sparkless said...

You are an amazing woman! You always find a way and it's usually using your talents which are many. I'm waiting for the next book you write about how you finally paid off your farm cause that will be epic!

March 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Morgan Shafer said...

You're so very talented, Jenna!

March 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, You truly have a gift for hand drawn art, and I am not putting down your logos...they are great too. It brings you joy, and will help pay the bills. It is a great way to work.

March 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger becky said...

your drawings are amazing. Have you ever thought of writing and illustrating for a younger audience. I think your drawings would be great along side farm stories maybe from gibson and fridays perspective, or the farm in general from the animals perspective. I would read it lol.

March 30, 2016 at 12:56 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Jenna, I think your drawings are so wonderful - in part because I can totally see the personality of each dog, horse etc in your pencil strokes. Thanks for making me smile this morning!

March 30, 2016 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Your drawings are so fun and spirited. You can see the joy in them!

Love the logos for the motorcycle group - we're motorcycle people in my house. I'm going to step into the dangerous realm of unsolicited input...how cool would it be if the handlebars on the motorcycle in the front facing logos mimic'd the profile of the mountains in the upper left logo design? Just thinking out loud. I was noticing how close the handlebar profile already was with the two side by side - given a little nudge, I think that would be some seriously subtle cool factor. (*ducks & covers*)

March 30, 2016 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Charlie Williams said...

I really appreciate your artwork and look forward to reading more about your farm. I'm in the beginning stages of my lavender farm and bee colonies.
http://gogetfunding.com/williams-lavender-farm-honey/
http://arizonawilderness.org/

March 30, 2016 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Charlie Williams said...

I really appreciate your artwork and look forward to reading more about your farm. I'm in the beginning stages of my lavender farm and bee colonies.
http://gogetfunding.com/williams-lavender-farm-honey/
http://arizonawilderness.org/

March 30, 2016 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Charlie Williams said...

I really appreciate your artwork and look forward to reading more about your farm. I'm in the beginning stages of my lavender farm and bee colonies.
http://gogetfunding.com/williams-lavender-farm-honey/
http://arizonawilderness.org/

March 30, 2016 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger aart said...

These drawings are just fantastic.
Serious, serious prowess with pencil, ink, and color you have.
So glad to see you've picked them back up, and can turn them into a revenue stream.

April 3, 2016 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

I love the horses.

April 3, 2016 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home