Saturday, February 13, 2016

One Week

I received a letter from the bank today that I have a week to compile two mortgage payments. Expect to see announcements on things the farm has to offer, as I will be selling hard! I'll post about the rest of the summer's workshops, season passes, Indie Days, and more. This month had over a grand in unexpected bills thanks to the truck and Friday's emergency visit. So I am going to grit my teeth and figure it out. I'll put up items for sale here and on Facebook as well. By this next Friday the check has to literally be in the mail. So it will be. That is all there is to say about that!


Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

ugh. I have a few ideas on staying ahead of payments, if you're interested, Jenna.

February 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Heather-Anne said...

Always here to help!

February 13, 2016 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but these short term bailouts are just a bandaid approach. Do you have any long term plans for a steady, reliable income source? Kyler and Sylvia have some ideas. Maybe you can poll your readers. I have ideas but will offer them only if asked.

February 14, 2016 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Shanda said...

Are you still accepting people into the Cold Antler Farm facebook group? I requested a while ago but haven't been added, just curious. . . Thanks!

February 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Shanda, I have not checked the facebook group in a while and am not very active on it. I will look into it today!

February 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

K&S - Feel free to email them to me!

February 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Molly, when I click on your profile nothing shows up. You have commented here for years, and mostly it has been critical or probing. You could be anyone. I don't know if you are a 14-year-old kid, a renowned author, a farmer, or a fake name attached to someone who runs a GOMI site about me. Maybe you are just a critic of a stranger's life. But if you want me to take your comments seriously, don't be anonymous.

Know that while I am very open about hard times on the farm, this blog is also my farm stand - it is where I sell things. The words themselves are part of what I sell, through advertising and sponsors, clicks and youtube views. People engage and read because they care. Some choose to contribute since the blog is free for them to read. And when I need to sell more things, I explain why.

At the end of the day, it bothers some readers that people donate to this farm. But this isn't a cartoon of self-reliance, and never has been. It's the homestead of a writer choosing to live a creative life following her passions. Some people are pissed off I'm single. Some are pissed I'm a woman. Some people criticize me for accepting donations, but have zero problem borrowing money from their spouse, parents, or the government. I am not on any gov. assistance programs. There is no wealthy family to lean on and ask for a check. It's up to me to do what it takes to keep what brings meaning to my life, and make this short time I have here worth living. And to do so in a way that climbs uphill. Over the years I have removed credit card debt, car payments, fuel payments, and adjusted my utilities and consumption more and more to match the life I want. People who don't like me focus on what they see as constant failure. People who like me see it as a triumph of a creative life, fought for by a woman without a bank roll. I don't care how people see me. I care who I see in the mirror. If I run for senate I'll address random anonymous questions on the budget.

So that's what this very personal and public blog is. It used to be a scared girl's website who made a lot of mistakes and got into farming and writing broke and foolish. Now it's the website of a badass woman who stopped caring a heartbreak and dark horse ago about making everyone happy. I can't. So I focus on those who encourage me.

Why are you focusing on someone who discourages you?

February 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

I think you forget that when you open up about your financial difficulties you are leaving yourself wide open for comments and opinions. Keep your money problems to yourself and do what is necessary to support your lifestyle by yourself. You are not the badass warrior woman you profess to be if you keep whining about your money problems. You chose the life and you need to stop the bellyaching.

February 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

my my dear Molly.....

there is noooo such thing as a steady income source. Real world, corporate politics, jobs shipped to Mexico, etc etc. There is no guarantee just because you have a regular job.

There is no loyalty rewards card that comes with that weekly paycheck.

I know. Something I've never mentioned on here is that I'm married to a corporate controller. Trust me, the job is as steady as the next management takeover or corporate merger. Poof.

Its all smoke and mirrors. When it evaporates at no fault of your own, you have to rely on your savvy and skills. The HR manager isn't going to make it all better. At the end of the day, all you have is you and your gumption.

Or you can have that wonder steady stream and suddenly come up with an illness that requires 3 (count them 3) MRIS and a 5 series CT scan with a $6000 HSA insurance plan.

Just sayin' Molls....


Its also somewhat difficult to find "real" employment living in a rural area that doesn't suck all your time and gas money driving for a basic job, no bennies. I know, I live about 40 miles round trip from real jobs. The other half has travelled 85 miles round trip, six days a week for the last "super steady" income.


February 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Ginger, your profile is also anon. And I already dealt with you once.

Apparently my bellyaching is your free entertainment for months. Your comments aren't welcome here anymore, since all of them are dick.

February 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Kristin T. said...

Jenna, I applaud you for continuing to write about the difficulties you face in pursuing your life as a farmer/writer. It's easy for others to criticize you when they haven't walked in your boots when you are facing the same issue - variable income - that most self -employed people face.

It occurs to me that you have a couple of advantages over other SEs: 1) you have multiple income streams ; 2)you grow most of your own food and have the opportunity/means to do so; 3) you have more opportunity for barter; and 4)you don't have a certain image to uphold.

I have, at best, a few means of income from SE. If a client who owes me a lot of money (because I have been spending a lot of my work time on them) then there's a huge chunk of money I have earned but don't have to pay the light bill. I live in a city, so producing much of my own food is out of the question. Bartering is not usually an option, and when it has been, I have only been able to barter for luxuries, like massages and sports tickets.

So I guess what I'm saying is keep on keeping on, and know that your situation is not that unusual. People who want to criticize will, no matter what.

February 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Heather-Anne said...

On a more productive note than SOME of the comments above...
My sister has some design needs. What is the best way to reach out to you about that?

February 14, 2016 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

I for one find no bellyaching in your posts. To me its a straightforward, "well here is whats happening today and what I am going to do about it." Even though I dont have the pleasure of meeting with you face to face over coffee at the farm it makes me feel like we are friends just catching up. I think most people dont realize this blog is like a slightly less personal journal in a way and they are just bitter. I for one love you. my husband kind of gets sick about me talking about you but when I say "Jenna this or Jenna that" he knows who I am talking about. You are badass and dont let anyone ever make you feel like you arent! For all of the naysayers there are tens and hundreds of us wanna be farmers just drawing courage and inspiration from you!

February 15, 2016 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Linda Benedict said...

When you tell us about the financial problems of the farm, I feel that you are keeping it real. Homesteading is not a fairytale life, it's hard work. With whatever life you choose to live there are financial aspects. We survived the worst financial time on our homestead. I am glad to read that you are closer to solving yours. Keep your chin up, keep doing what you are doing. I am in awe that you are doing it by yourself. YOU ROCK!

February 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Shanda said...

Thanks Jenna! I didn't know if you were active on there or not.

February 16, 2016 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home