Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Friday Swallowed Rogaine
Poison to Cats and Dogs

As I explain in this very embarrassing video, it would be the easist thing in the world not to share this story. So, please be kind. I am sharing it because the information might save a cat or dog's life. Today my young borer collie bit into a can of Women's Rogaine foam after a cat knocked it to the floor. (Shakes fist at cats!) Few people know how dangerous just the FUMES of this drug is to cats (it will kill them) and how it can slow down a dog's blood pressure to the point of dying. This is the story of what happened tonight. The dog is fine, but it was a hit to the heart and the wallet.



Blogger DarcC said...

Thank you for putting the future well-being of a stranger's animal ahead of your own embarrassment. I've put these PSA's on Facebook before, once when a dog (I thought) ate a bar of herbal soap - called pet poison control, etc. - turns out he only removed the wrapper, but I didn't find the bar until days later. Another time I linked the instructions to the doggie Heimlich maneuver after another dog choked and I didn't know what to do (he lived, I learned). Damned animals constantly invent new and novel ways to give us heart failure!

February 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Sparkless said...

I'd have done the exact same thing if it were my dog. Maybe you need to make the bathroom a dog and cat free zone or put your stuff into a cupboard that the animals can't get into. My cats do not jump on my counters, table or shelves but if they did I know I'd be in a whole lot of trouble cause there would be so many broken things. I find it strange that you called the cat an a**hole for knocking stuff off the shelf but the dog isn't an a**hole for biting the can? I see a bit of dog vs cat bias showing. LOL!

February 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks guys, and yes, I am 100% bias when it comes to cats and dogs, but know if anything happened to the cat we'd be at the vet in a second too. I talk big, but at the end of the day I want those cats to be okay. When Bree came home one day missing a toe and it got infected we were at the vet getting antibiotic injections and bandage wraps, so know i was just upset she knocked over the stuff.

But if I could only take one to the vet, it would be the dogs. Just being 100% honest.

February 3, 2016 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger EZ said...

Definitely not an overreaction. Anything to do with animals and chemicals is super bad news, especially when they're family. Proud of you for taking care of her!

February 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger PansWife said...

You would never have forgiven yourself if you had put money before the health of an animal you love. Yes, pets occasionally seem like luxury items, but there is no denying they are also family members. At least it's a case of all's well that ends well and Friday didn't require extensive medical treatment. Hope the rest of the night is more peaceful.

February 3, 2016 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, my old dog needed a midnight run to the very expensive emergency vet after eating a couple of pounds of dark chocolate fudge. Which I am pretty sure the cat knocked to the floor.

February 3, 2016 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thank you for sharing this, Jenna! Perhaps it will remind people out there that a lot of chemicals found in households are toxic to pets. Sounds like you did the right thing and took Friday to the vet. What a horrible experience! I'm so glad everyone is OK!

P.S. Rogaine is NASTY stuff, and not all that great for humans either. If your concerned about your hair, you're better off going the no-poo method. Many people have had great hair regrowth by reducing or eliminating chemical laden beauty products.

P.P.S. You're absolutely beautiful just the way you are!

February 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

wow! what a horrible day. sorry :-( i dont think you over reacted. i dont think you are silly or vain. and please dont be embarrassed. i think you are probably going to save someone's pet with this - so thanks for taking one for the team.
ps i loved seeing Annie!

February 4, 2016 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I agree Sara......Jenna is beautiful just the way she is!!!

February 4, 2016 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so glad Friday is okay, and I don't think you overreacted at all. (This from the cat owner who has ended up at the University of Penn's veterinary emergency room more times than she can count, usually after midnight on a holiday weekend). Occasionally they have made me feel like I'm overreacting and could have waited to see my regular vet, but that's okay - like you, I'd rather be out the emergency vet money than have something awful happen that I could have prevented.

FYI, if you have any (less urgent) situations, UPenn's vet ER will answer questions by phone. It's worth asking, anyway. 215-898-4685.

February 4, 2016 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Allispin said...

So glad you and the animals are all okay! You did the right thing for sure.

February 4, 2016 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

glad Friday is okay, not over reacting as far as Im concerned. with 10 dogs and as many as 13 before, it is always something. FYI it takes way more then 3 tsp of peroxide to make a dog vomit. get one of those baby med. syringes and fill the damn thing up next time if they dont vomit within 5 min, do it again. wont hurt them and they will def. throw up the peroxide will come right back out, no worries. our 32 lb border collie ate a whole box of little debbies choc cakes. took 2 syringes before he threw up , but it all came up

February 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Oy. We've all been there, such is a life with animals! Still, though, what a day. Also, maybe we should all share something "embarrassing" about ourselves? I could outdo a little rogaine any day ;)

February 4, 2016 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Susan Diggle said...

Wow, Jenna, I didn't know about the toxicity of Rogaine. Thank you for posting. I had my own experience with the poison control hotline when my 7? month old puppy drank disinfectant at a Flying Star's outdoor "petio" last spring. A bucket was left outside by a worker who had been cleaning the tables... I was beside myself, especially after the poison control people told me it could have a corrosive effect and I should take him to the ER. I also baulked at the price, but the poison control center and vets work together to come to an informed diagnosis and treatment. I'm glad I took measures to prevent any long term consequences... They prescribed something to coat his GI tract, and other protective measures. He was fine - maybe a little freaked out by my meltdown in the car, while on the phone dealing with these entities...but I don't regret taking precautions. I think you made the right call. Happy to hear your dog will be ok. Hope you and Friday and the whole gang some good rest tonight. Peace.

February 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Did he get a hair ball stuck in his throat?

February 5, 2016 at 5:08 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Vanity is overrated anyway. No use for it. LOL

I was at the vet Tuesday as my old lab-mix needed some sutures removed. Normally my vet office ticks like a clock and I barely see another animal. Tuesday gave a rare opportunity to people/pet watch other people coming in. There was a woman there with a bulldog that had eaten & already vomited up more than two cups of gravel, with still more coming up. The poor dog! But seriously, what kind of creature - man or beast - eats 2 cups of gravel?!

Owning pets is weird sometimes. A lot of times.

February 5, 2016 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I had no idea that Rogaine is so dangerous. You did the right thing.

February 5, 2016 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My sweet dog chewed on a soft Aveno lotion bottle. His poop smelled like a PERM in the backyard for a week. PEEE-U. I was a wreck because he was just a puppy at the time.

AND if I could, I would share with you my very thick lion's mane, head-of-hair. I have too much....really thick and puffy.

February 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's a good one:

February 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad everyone is alright. Stupid stuff happens.

February 6, 2016 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

I wish to god I could give you a hug right now because I really feel your terror. First, I'm losing my hair so don't be embarrassed. Second, I came home to two dogs and an empty Tylenol bottle on the floor. I rushed them both to the vet. Had their stomachs pumped. When I told my then live-in boyfriend what happened, he said the bottle was empty. It must have fallen off the counter. $450 in vet bills. Another day I came home and my neutered Male finally figured sex out. He burst a blood vessel in his penis. Another $450+ vet bill. To have a dog is to have a vet bill. Anyone who says different is a lying sack of poop.

Go have a good cry. An ugly cry. And take a nap. Friday will do something ridiculously cute tomorrow and this too shall pass.

February 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Katzenjammer360 said...

Never be afraid you overreacted with a pet. All it takes is one time thinking "it'll be fine, I'll just wait and see" and your dog could be dead. Money is tight, and that should be a consideration, but (as you obviously know) it's better to have a tight financial situation than a dead family member. I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed about. I've been there several times where my husband thought it would be better to just wait it out and I insisted we go to the vet. Once was an overreaction, but one was not. And I believe both were the best choice, just in case. Friday is lucky to have you :)

February 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home