Saturday, February 27, 2016

Every 3 Hours

I feel that while this blog is public, it is insanely niche. No one is reading about this lambing season unless they are invested in this one-woman story. I feel drunk right now, and it's not on booze but on a lack of sleep. I just walked up into the field and saw Split Ear, a 10-year-old ewe with a hoo haa red a firetruck. I would not be surprised if by 6Am there was a pair of lambs in the farmhouse curled up by the wood stove. Friday is over her first heat and Gibson never got his paws on her so she doesn't need to spend the night in the crate anymore. It's okay to give it over to some babes. I have the colostrum out and ready.

I wanted to run 5 miles today to see what that felt like. I didn't. Instead Patty invited me over to soak in her hot tub and that sapped any running energy I had. But I felt better after an hour in the hot water. It was kind of like a nap. I came home, did chores, started some freelance work, and realized then it was time to check on the flock again. It is a tie between Split Ear and the Romney ewe. I have no idea which will lamb first but my alarm is set for every three hours. I am on it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly Brown said...

Just like youre the proud papa, up every three hours to check on baby, you rock it! Totally invested, keep it up you punch drunk lambing warrior!

February 27, 2016 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger MrsL said...

I love all the sheepy updates :) Reading from Galloway in Scotland here, big fan of our native Scottish breeds, and if I had the land, would have a small flock for myself, being a knitter, spinner, dyer and lover of good ethical meat. In the meantime, I found details of an online sheep-keeping curse (theory only) that I might take up - just in case...............
Sheep are worth every minute you spend on them, and every minute I read about them, so keep it coming :)

Thankyou

February 28, 2016 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Justine said...

Totally invested in your story even though you have no idea who I am I check your blog and facebook at least five times a day waitingnfor lamb updates!

February 28, 2016 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Molly Jacobson said...

Love the lambin watch! We just had nine baby goats born last week. Exhausting but the best life ever.

February 28, 2016 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger FAST SOS said...

Hope all is going well with the little ones, eagerly awaiting updates, keep up the good work!

February 28, 2016 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Kristen Judkins said...

I too had early triplet lambs on Friday....who arrived just after I had arrived in Maine for NETA SPA event. 2 were rejected by the ewe, and close to death. Fortunately, I have an amazing shepherd in a neighbor and I had the foresight to ensure he'd be available if anything should happen (since as you well know, nothing happens until you leave for a few hours). He saved the day. He came down and got the cold lambs warmed up, milked out the mama for colostrum and tube fed them, set up the jug and a heat lamp since it was 12 degrees. He showed my room mate how to warm them up and set them up in a lamb box by the woodstove, where my dogs took to mothering them. He showed her how to mix the formula and feed the baby lambs.
When she called me everything was under control, and I was able to enjoy dinner with my friends, a couple of hours of a nap, and then I jumped in the Subey and headed back to VT to care for the lambs, and look out for the rest of the ewes to lamb. 3 of them look ready to go any minute, so I too, have been on the 3-4 hour barn watch and lamb feeding schedule. So, I'm exhausted and kind of punch drunk, but happy and maintaining diligence.
There with you and loving it!

February 29, 2016 at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home