Saturday, November 21, 2015

Whitetails

I was sitting in the forest before dawn, very cold and very quiet. The sky had veins of pink in the far east long before I heard a single bird break the silence. I thought of what Mark had told me about hunting deer. That the best thing to do is find your spot and fall asleep and when you wake up, they are there. I closed my eyes and tried my best, but I was far too wired. It's hard to get comfy for a tuck in when you have a loaded rifle on your lap.

I spent a few hours out there but didn't so much as see a deer. I heard plenty of gunfire though. If the rest of this mountain is anything to go by and only half the shots I heard actually brought down an animal I'd guess a ton of venison is on the menu tonight. I'll go outside again in the late afternoon and hope for some luck, but without a doe tag I feel like this year is already a bust. You never know, I might get lucky? Lightening strikes every now and again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nerissa said...

Good luck lady!

November 21, 2015 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger bravewolf Mccall said...

good luck i didnt get one yet but i keep trying, our rifle season opens tomorrow. :) hope you and me both get one.

November 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Good Luck! I'm back from 8 days in the UP.....nicht. No doe tags where I'm at currently either.

November 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/23/university-suspends-yoga-class-fearing-its-cultural-issues-could-offend/?intcmp=hpbt2

Ummm...this article reminds me of your AWESOME yoga story about knitting. :)

(*Sorry it has nothing to do with your deer....please excuse the interruption.)

November 23, 2015 at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home