Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Vlogs vs Blogs?

So I am really enjoying Youtube. I love making those quick videos and look forward to filming them in the same way I look forward to going to speaking or author events. The coolest thing is instead of talking to a room of 20 people in a store or library I can talk to 3500 while you're in your bathrobes drinking coffee. It's fun and easy. The channel started last year with under a thousand subscribers and has grown three-fold! The viewers are engaged and asking questions and I am finding a whole new audience. So I am going to keep doing it. I am considering making the vlog a daily thing (Monday - Friday) if you guys are into that? Details in vid above!

But I don't know if I should keep posting the videos here? This is really more of a place for words, don't you think? Until I have one larger site that combines the blog, vlog, photography and more I would like to keep them separate. So if you want to keep seeing the vlogs I suggest you to go to the channel page, click subscribe (it's free), and that way new videos will be emailed to you soon as they are uploaded from here on. I'll share them here from time to time if I feel one is blog-worthy, but for the most part if you want visual-CAF you'll need to pay attention to that link!


Blogger Images Animated Gifs Free HTML said...

Have a wonderful day!

October 21, 2015 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Angie Dellinger said...

Personally, of course I would love to see more content from you. I have your blog as an "app" on my home screen and I check it daily. I don't go to YouTube so I rely on you posting the videos on the blog. If that changes I'll start checking it out on YouTube, but I like them embedded within the blog.

So, that's my two cents worth.

Either way, I'm happy to keep following!

October 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger jules said...

I think it would be worth posting here if you are going to talk about homesteading, or making things, or taking care of animals, but I'm not really interested in seeing pop culture references or things that really aren't homestead related.

October 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Lilbitbrit said...

I like the Vlogs still post them here, it's your voice

October 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

I'm not going to subscribe, because there are enough places on the internet I tromo through. If you keep posting here, on your wlog (word blog) :) then I'll Know there's a blog available. Easier for me to catch up with you @ coffee break @ my desk job. The video posting adds dimension and content depth to your wlog as well. Just my thoughts.

October 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Amanda Weber said...

I actually found you on YouTube BEFORE I read your books or this blog, so it is definitely helping build your audience. :) I've bought & read two of your books since then, and follow the blog as well. I tend to go to YouTube to watch the videos, so I don't feel like you need to post the videos both places. Or maybe just do a blog post at the end of the week that shows "Here's what you missed this week on my YouTube channel" and encourage people to subscribe? Either way! I would definitely enjoy daily vlogs, though I would think that's a lot of work!!

I know you're not a smartphone person, but if you ever end up with one again, Periscope is really fun too, as far as quick daily videos! I've been following Dirtpatchheaven (from YouTube) and Justin ( - they recently did a Permaculture Chickens Kickstarter, and I helped do their website afterward) and I love seeing their Periscopes videos as they're doing chores on their farms, or chatting in the morning while milking the cow or goat, etc. Very cool stuff. :)

October 21, 2015 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

thanks for all the feedback, guys! I just want to make it clear that if you subscribe through youtube you don't have to check My page there, the vids are just emailed to you.

October 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Patsy King said...

I vote for an everyday vlog. I just subscribed. Thanks, Jenna.

October 21, 2015 at 1:17 PM  
OpenID peacelovepointers said...

Personally, I like the vlogs on this blog. But ya know, that's just me.
Also, is Gibson going to give us more Scottish lessons? I am such a fan of all things Scottish.

October 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Really like your vlogs and I subscribed already a very long time ago. Still I hope you will post your vlogs also on your blog because it takes a few days before youtube sends me the message that there is a new vlog. Since I check blogs everyday I always have seen the latest vlog already before I get the you-tube-note.

Just saying ... :-)

October 21, 2015 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I guess I'm on the other side here. I much prefer your blogs; I read them for your command of language as well as the content. I have watched a few of the vlogs but vastly prefer the written you. Of course, if you keep posting them in the blog, it isn't hard to choose not to view them.

October 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Knoll said...

I love it all! Sorry that's not very helpful ;). Usually I enjoy the blogs over the vlogs because you're such a great writer, but what I love about the vlogs are the glimpses of the farm, animals playing in the background, day to day life, the unexpected. I'd enjoy a weekly info vlog or a daily what's up in your life vlog equally.

October 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Nerissa said...

I've subscribed a bit ago but I like having them embedded in the blog. I usually check the blog at home where I can stream videos when I check my email I'm usually out and about so I don't play videos as my data plan isn't unlimited. I do enjoy the vlogs.

October 21, 2015 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Kevin s said...

Jenna, I enjoy your blog and vlogs for you, not necessarily any particular topic. How you, a single young woman, can live the life you do all on your own is remarkable and inspiring. Having said that anything that makes more of your story available can only be a good thing.

October 21, 2015 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Johollister said...

I kinda like one stop shopping. Come here, watch a vlog, read a blog. But you should do what works for YOU.

October 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Pilates Paula said...

I like your vlogs embedded, I use a feed reader to see yours and other blogs and I can watch from there. I am subscribed but don't get the emails so checking the youtube channel would maybe happen a few times a week. I do like your vlogs, they strike me as topics you're passionate about and that's great, even if (especially because)not everyone agrees with all of it- that's the beauty of freedom! So I like to see you interested in what you're talking about and if you got bored I think that would come through. More content would be great but only if it inspires YOU.

October 21, 2015 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I too have subscribed to your YouTube channel but rarely get e-mail alerts of new videos, and when I do it is days after I have already watched it on your blog.

October 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

I love the videos, but I still look forward to the written posts. But it has more to do with what's going on in my world. I can read a blog any time, day or night. But with a new baby on my shoulder and crappy internet, I tend to wait for a block of uninterrupted time to sit and watch the videos. And I do eventually watch them all--just rarely the day they become available. But am I going to stop coming here if there are fewer written posts--hell no! :) You do what you gotta do and I'll catch up when I can.

October 22, 2015 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger Johollister said...

Yeah, there is a lag with the You Tube alerts,and sometimes they don't show at all. Also, I never got one sent to my email, I would just get a notice that a new one is up.

October 22, 2015 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

So I get emails about EVERYTHING that happens on Youtube, each comment, each sub, and soon as a video or channel I subscribe to posts a video I get a notice. perhaps this is how it is for channel owners? Or maybe when I created the channel there were settings I changed to get more notifications. I didn't realize this wasn't the same for everyone?

So why subscribe then? The answer is simple - it shows youtube people care about the content I create. It costs you nothing at all to do but supports this farm a lot. The more subs you get the more attention Youtube Pays you, and the more referred videos I get to people who never heard of me. It's free advertising and every time you click on one of those little adds some pennies come my way. Right now around 60 bucks a month is deposited in my bank account thanks to Youtube, not much I know, but considering I am making money offering a free product doing something I love I think it is brilliant. And the more subs I get the more people get to click. If I hit 5k subs I might be making enough on Youtube Vids to cover the F150 payment to Kiva, which as a homesteader means the products of this farm (vlogs in this case) are actually paying for things the farm needs. It's the minecraft dream, baby.

So Sub if you can, because it helps here and takes a second.

October 22, 2015 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I literally subscribed just a minute ago to the YouTube channel because of what you said above and how it helps you out but that is not a site I regularly visit so I usually watch the vlogs when featured on the blog. I like the idea that someone mentioned of having a week in review to feature all the daily vlogs. Whatever you choose, I support. I have read your books and followed the blog for years and enjoy your writing. I have started to really enjoy the vlogs because it shows your personality. I get a lot of your personality in your writing but it takes it to another level when I watch the vlogs. Happy Thursday!

October 22, 2015 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Isn't committing to everyday pressure inducing? It doesn't have to be everyday if you don't feel like it.

I am really interested in animal care. But I also find your worldly references interesting too. That's also part of homesteading. I found your comments about TV so refreshing. How does one connect to the outer community once they have a homestead. I don't want to just read about vegetables. What if my neighbors are mean and crabby? Can't a girl raise chickens and love her iPad?

P.S. I'm not in a position where I make a donation but I do have a bartering proposition.

October 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Hi, I also prefer to see your vlogs in your blog....

October 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Hi, I also prefer to see your vlogs in your blog....

October 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home