Thursday, October 29, 2015

Samhain Knocks

After a spell of cold nights and blustery, rainy days the sun is out! The mud is starting to dry up and the animals are starting to shake off the dew and fluff up their coats. I have a pile of office work to slog through this morning but soon as I am done my best friend Patty is coming over with her horse and we're going to go for a long Autumn trail ride. I will make that the daily vlog today, and that means it won't be posted later in the evening. I never know if a vlog will take half an hour to make or an entire morning. That horse video took half a day of filming and editing. The one about self doubt took fifteen minutes. I think anything with animals takes longer than just talking at a screen, so perhaps it will be up after 7pm? Regardless, the daily vlogging is going well and this month the channel has 300 new subscribers! This is great news since many of them have no idea I write books, blog, or have this whole thing going on here and the videos are bringing in book sales to Battenkill Books, too. What a great thing!

Samhain is coming up, and Dumb Supper will be held here again with close friends. It's a very reverent night to remember those lost. It's also a Cold Antler tradition to host the event here. There is no big meal to prepare, as everyone coming brings their own dish - something that was loved by the person they are remembering that night. Everyone eats in silence, thinking of the person who was lost and when the meal is over we raise our glasses and share stories of the dead. It is healing and hopeful, not at all creepy or sordid. Do any of you celebrate Samhain or Winter Nights? What are your family rituals and customs?


4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I have my own traditions.. welcoming Holda / Hulda in on her Wild Ride... she is here to collect the souls of those that have passed on during the year... esp. children and the elderly... So we'll be honoring those that have passed this year and bid one last goodbye or until we see them again... with a meal and rite..
Also, With her coming is the start of Winter..so we'll make our own Hulda Dolls to still on our altar until the Spring when we will put her to bed in the garden w/ our "scarcrow" to take her place to watch over the house and garden.....
We'll also do some divination on the new year...

Have a Blessed Samhain / Winter's Night

October 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Manya said...

We don't practice Samhain, but do always leave an empty seat and place setting at Holiday meals in memory of loved ones lost.

October 29, 2015 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Andrea Ostapovitch said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition! I've never experienced anything like that, though I personally like to remember certain people with the food I create. I keep this to myself mostly though.

October 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Raven D Bishop said...

I do, as you know. We walk the labyrinth and then hold dumb supper. 10 years strong...but I have fond memories of a spaghetti dumb supper in college. Bright blessings, friend.

Www.fullcircleuuca.org

October 29, 2015 at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home