Friday, October 16, 2015

New Vlog: Kill Your TV?


Blogger Erik said... - Popular culture no longer applies to me!

October 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

You need to have your own show. And thank you for that message. I think that is what's keeping a lot of people from taking the leap. The idea that it has to be just so or nothing. So they keep the picture or the clipping. The dream becomes an idea, not a choice.

Be you! Excellent.

October 16, 2015 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

Wow, you've changed a lot! Do you remember writing this in 2011?

The television, all 46 inches of Living Room Glory, is being picked up by friends and removed this Saturday. Good riddance. I don't like that a television has been the center of my relaxation and creative free time on the farm. I'm too distracted by it, too enamored by the endless thrills of Netflix, Crackle, and Amazon Prime. I don't have cable, haven't for years, but just having a giant screen as the focal point of my home had changed my idea of relaxation. I used to just play music, read, call friends or family, and research farm projects. Recently, these past few months, I have just pushed through chores and meals to get to a point where I sit down and mindlessly watch TV. I have seen seasons 1-3 of Glee. I watched the Hanna Montana Movie. I rewatched shows I had seen a million times. And you know what? All it did was make me put off the work I liked, that I wanted to do! I used to end an evening on my farm with hard work, good food, and then a book or a fiddle. Now I just fall asleep to nameless voices on streaming entertainment.

You got almost a hundred comments, mostly from your readers who applauded your expunging TV from your life. I was one of the lone voices of dissent when I wrote the following:

All of this TV = BAD sentiment actually pains me. I believe in the artistic possibilities of television. I think that television (like books, like movies, like anything else in life) can either be engaged with mindlessly, or it can be engaged with intensely. When I watch television, I'm watching intensely. I'm analyzing, discussing, putting into context, and in general using my mind to expand the experience. There's enough great stuff on television to make all that possible. Just assuming that watching television is a passive activity and that reading or playing an instrument are active activities is a real over-simplification.

Just sayin'! :-)

October 16, 2015 at 9:27 PM  
OpenID peacelovepointers said...

I totally agree with you. I mean, what about Lost? Talk about art! OMG, that show...

October 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Heather, yes! I had one of those giant box TV's a friend was getting rid of, like before they were flat? I think it weighed 100lbs... I still don't have a TV. I do have a large iMac in the living room for Hulu, Amazon, DVDs, etc.

I am constantly changing, learning, growing, changing ideas, letting myself eat my own words. The ones you posted were delicious. I hope you are changing, too!

October 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Christ, imagine if everyone had to hold onto what they thought at 28?!

October 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Tubaville said...

I think we all change. We don't have access to TV where we live and it's not in the budget to get satellite so we get Netflix DVDs. It is so much fun to plan what series or documentary we are going to watch. Plus we don't just veg out on TV. I've also discovered the world of podcasts that I can listen to while I work. It's a huge world out there now. I love it.

October 17, 2015 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger crashdown said...

I've definitely changed over the years--I always say that I'm aging backwards, because in high school I only listened to classical music and never watched TV. I started watching a few shows with friends in college, and by graduate school I was seriously into TV discussion boards. Now I write a lot about television and fandom in general. Through all that, dogs were a constant--I've been interested in training and understanding dogs ever since I can remember. I probably have three serious interests in my life--television, technology, and dogs--but I've never felt that I needed to reconcile them, or that there was anything weird about it. These interests rarely intersect, so I'm glad to know you! :-)

October 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger T. Crockett said...

..."muck boots are the new morality"... you have a great way with words Jenna.

October 19, 2015 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Love it! Down with snobbery. Up with Firefly. And Battlestar. And Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live. :)

October 21, 2015 at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home