Tuesday, October 27, 2015

I Owe Bear McCreary a Drink

Bear McCreary is a composer, and unless you're a fan of modern composers for television and film, there is no reason you should know his name (though, it is a helluva name?!). He wrote the music for Battlestar Galactica, Black Sail, and The Walking Dead. More of import to this blog post - he wrote (and is writing) the music for the television adaptation of Outlander. And that music is what I was listening to in one earbud while the other ear was listening to the autumn forest. I was on the back of a black horse and we were riding fast through mountain trails.

The music was perfect. Hearing those bagpipes and drums as Merlin pounded up the trails, me comfortable in the way only a person who has ridden the same horse in the same place for years could be. I silently cursed myself for not doing this every day. If I'm honest the only reason I escaped a morning of just design work and writing in the house was because of the daily vlogging series and the person who asked for a saddling video. I filmed all the stuff I needed for the vlog and then I had a horse ready to ride standing in my front yard. To do the three-mile loop up the mountain and back would only take a half hour or so, especially with how feisty Merlin was since morning chores (he pushes my took right off my head in the beginning of the video!). So I jumped on his back in jeans and boots and hit the wind.

I loved that ride. I love that horse. I loved the music and the moments. At the near end of the loop we stopped in a stream and Merlin drank while I listened to Bear's themes and looked up at the maples above me, stretching tall and golden as the walls of Valhalla. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath of creek and mud, dying leaves and woodsmoke. It was a fine way to spend a morning. And horses are a fine way to spend your 33rd year on this earth. Good music and good beasts are all I need.


Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, I can feel the fall air and horsey smell right now. Lovely! Take care.

October 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger Juliet said...

You have such a way with words, Jenna! It was easy to be taken up in the moment of music, smells and view!

October 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

It is truly lovely this time of year and what a way to spend a morning. Good for you and thanks for sharing.

October 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM  
OpenID peacelovepointers said...

Is that a Western saddle? Whatever it is, this video was very informative for me; I only know how to tack up English, though I've ridden Western too.
I'd love to see a video on rabbits, specifically their housing arrangements, and what you feed them.

October 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger mgardener said...

You went back in time.

October 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger papersparrow said...

Subtle Lucas cameo about three minutes in. I see you, lurkey-turkey! Great video Jenna. Hope you had a wonderful ride! :)

October 29, 2015 at 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home