Friday, September 4, 2015

Trapping Season

When I start getting concerned emails from readers about my whereabouts, I know I had better start catching up around here. All is well. I have just been taking every spare second I have outside of the farm to start another chapter in this story. September 1st marked the beginning of trapping season for red-tailed hawks and kestrels in New York so all of us Falconers around here have been hitting the road, driving in pairs and looking for our new hunting partners. Since Italics was released back in April I've been without a raptor for a few months. I hoping for a female this year, which are larger than the males and a new challenge for me as an apprentice in this ancient and amazing sport.

My whole schedule is out of whack. Since all this time is spent on the backroads and fields of the county with a pair of binoculars, trolling for 'tails, I have totally lost my sense of real time. There is daylight and morning and then chores and then dark. I was shocked at 4Pm today it wasn't 2PM on Thursday. Yup. I'm running on coffee and a crush on a hawk I don't even know.

Besides having birds on the brain I have been getting plans for Antlerstock together. I heard from Brett he’ll be here Saturday to teach about traditional logging and to share a reading and Q&A about his new book, the Woodland Homestead. For years he’s been felling trees, talking about traditional tools like cross cut saws and axes, and teaching people at this event. It’s an honor to have him back!

I also heard from Kathy and Mary of WindWomen Farm, who will be talking about farming after retirement. A topic not really covered at Antlerstock before. Kathy (who is an accomplished Archer) will also be with me up in the archery field for beginner archery that weekend. Meg Paska (Beekeeping Author) might be here for a day and I am waiting to hear from others as well - from blacksmiths to neighbors to friends. Friday has confirmed she will be covering a lecture on how to wag your tail with your entire body and get away with pooling in any room in your house your roommates can’t see you in. Unrelated note: Does anyone out there have tips for removing the smell of dog pee from linoleum floors? Asking for a friend.

This weekend, a campout here at the farm with good friends. We're seeing off a friend moving off to New Orleans and starting his own new chapters. I'm still not any farther with my winter prepping goals but I will find a way. I'll design, teach, sell another book....It'll happen because it has to. By Antlerstock I hope to have three cords stocked and ready in the woodshed and to catch up enough on the mortgage enough to exhale.


Blogger Erik said...

I stand by baking soda and vinegar for the dog pee, but how did it get INTO the linoleum...?

September 4, 2015 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

How's The Legend of Birchthorn coming along?

September 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

it is going well! It is going to be professionally edited and then back to me for for layout around October, Ebook will be out to all who supported at the 10 dollar level shortly after. Then it gets printed in paperback and hardcover!

September 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Annie is 16 and even with me getting up in the night to let her out she still has accidents with her bladder. Pee enough in the same spot and it gets into the linoleum...

September 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Kelsie said...

There's a product called Nature's Miracle that works wonders on dog pee odors. It's the only thing I've found that really does the trick. You can buy it at places like Petsmart. Pretty sure other big box stores have it, too. Or Amazon, of course.

September 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger beccaWA said...

Nature's Miracle works, but I like Simple Green Pet Odor and Stain Remover. It even breaks down cat pee over time with an enzyme reaction. (Don't ask me how I know this...) I like the lighter scent of Simple Green over Nature's, but they're probably about the same type of product. Simple Green also comes in a half/gallon size with an attached hose and spray nozzle.

September 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Pilates Paula said...

I can't wait for Friday's lecture! I think I'm looking forward to that the most, even more than cutting down another tree with only my BARE HANDS. (And Brett's saw too, I guess :)

September 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home