Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Best Way to Roast Pork!

Too many of us think of bacon, ham, boneless chops, or sausage when we think of eating pigs. I love all those cuts and smokings but my FAVORITE way to eat pork is so simple and so delicious its ridiculous food this good can literally take 5 minutes to prepare in advance. So here is my recipe for the perfect BQ Boston Butt and all you need are the following:

2-3lb Boston Butt Roast
(It will taste better if pastured/local pork)

1/2 cup of honey

1 bottle of hard cider

1 bottle of any BBQ sauce

3-4 apples

All you need to do is defrost the roast in the sink or fridge, and when the meat is thawed just set it in any crock pot or baking dish. Pour a standard 12oz bottle of hard cider over the meat. Then drizzle honey over it. Last, glob on half a bottle of bbq sauce. That's it. You can either set the crock pot on low heat all day while you go to work or you can set it in the oven at 275 for a long, slow, low cook.

I let my 2.5 lb roast sit there from 1pm until 6pm. Every once in a while I would flip it so the fats would cook and drip over the meat evenly but this isn't a concern in a standard 4-to-6-quart slow cooker. An hour before I want to serve it I pull it out of the oven and repeat the cider/honey/sauce treatment at about half the amount of the first dose. Then I cut up the apples into chunks and cover the meat and side juices with the slices and set it in the over to bake at the slightly higher 325. This turns those apples into such a soft sauce that perfectly melds with the pork and honey and goo.

Once apples are soft all you need to do is cut and serve. The apples should be a gooey sauce and the meat falling off the bone and dyed a slight red from the BBQ sauce. Eat each bite of meat with the cooked apple and enjoy each bite! This is how pork was meant to be served in the fall!

13 Comments:

Blogger Mel Baker said...

It looks delicious!!

September 11, 2015 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

nice! i love the pokey pot so much... yay!

September 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

That sounds ridiculously good!

September 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

do you cover the works or put it in the oven just like that?

September 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

oh. my. I will be making this. Thanks!

September 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thanks all!

September 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

What's a Pokey Pot?!

September 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Michelle - I don't cover it at all, even at the higher setting. The layers of cider, sauce, apples and honey make a glaze that does the lid work. I'm sure you could?

September 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

That recipe looks absolutely wonderful!!!
I do not have access to hard cider is there something else that I could use that would work well? If I get some apple cider do you think that would work or would that be too sweet?

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am about to order some pork locally and can't wait to try this.

Linda

September 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey Linda! You probably do have hard cider at any beer joint, it's more and more common. But if you don't want to use it or can't find any - any soft cider or apple juice works!

September 11, 2015 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Wow, this is the perfect autumn dish. Your next book isn't going to be a cook book, is it?! I've always thought you should write one :)
-Jaime

September 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

This sounds delicious, but pretty carbohydrate-laden for me. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have to count my carbs and give insulin for each one! Could I perhaps cut out the honey and get similar results?

September 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger meigancam01 said...

I am really interested in what you wrote here. This looks absolutely perfect. All these tinny details gives me a lot of knowledge.

September 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home